Everything posted by chrisgreen
- Rapid Spaceback 1.5?
-
Servicing - Dealer costs & digital records
Hello I use my local Skoda dealer for servicing. This is due to three reasons: 1) I have a really good local dealer - Willis Skoda in Ruislip, 2)I have a very reasonably priced two-year service plan and 3) the car is still under warranty (and to keep things simple I always keep a car in the dealer network for servicing etc while it's still under manufacturer warranty to avoid any arguments if something goes wrong with the car (then they can't blame it on non-genuine service parts or a service not carried out to spec). Digital service records are not new - been a thing for well over a decade now for Skoda (and most car makes). No, an independent garage won't be able to update a Skoda digital service record. That's why having paperwork is important so you have proof that you've done a service outside the dealer network. Or, you can buy a service book and have them stamp it. I agree that £305 inc VAT for an Oil and Filter change is a lot - are you sure that doesn't include brake fluid as well? I ask as I would expect an oil service to be nearer to £225-230 inc VAT and brake fluid done at the same time to be about £75. The car should be serviced every 12 months or 10,000 miles - whichever comes first. As a low mileage driver, annual servicing becomes even more important as a car like a Superb (and a bigger engine) is designed to do regular runs which help keep everything moving and lubricated rather than be a city car.
-
What is this?
BTW - as a fellow 2023 Hatch owner, shout if you want any inspiration for accessories to add to the car. I pretty much have added every genuine Skoda accessory to my boot and cabin, so happy to provide pics and advice.
-
What is this?
Excellent - it's all good in that case.
-
What is this?
Also, you should have a removeable door that covers it (and also holds your anti-slip parcel chocks). Is it missing, or just out of shot?
-
What is this?
If your new car is an L&K - that's a subwoofer for the sound system. Chris
-
Help understanding the mk3.5 facelift
If it helps, I have a 2023 SE Technology (1.5 TSI Hatch), and mine has the virtual cockpit, along with full LED headlights, leather full electric seats etc.
-
Dashcam hardwire
It does. Fuse 47 is the rear wiper fuse (and thus would be switched). Good news that yours was still wired up even without the wiper.
-
Dashcam hardwire
If I get round to doing it, i will, but I would suggest not waiting for me and checking yourself. Your car and mine may well be wired differently, so my findings may not apply to all.
-
Dashcam hardwire
As above, you need to probe for a suitable 12v live or switched line. Also worth checking the slot where the rear wiper fuse would have been if present, in case it's wired up for power (it may well be even with no wiper fitted). I'm doing a dashcam hardwire on my own Superb III on Easter Monday, and I also do not have a rear wiper. I'm hoping the rear wiper fuse socket is wired, to save me having to hunt for an alternative.
- 2012 skoda superb flat battery
-
2012 skoda superb flat battery
Well if you are sure the battery is functional and capable of holding a charge, it can only be 1) your alternator isn’t charging it (if that’s the case, it’s time for a new alternator - possible for a 13 year old car, especially if it’s done moon miles), or there’s a rogue power draw in the car, but would need to be a big one to wipe out a fully charged battery in 4-5 hours. Have you been across the fuse box with a multimeter with the car off to see if there’s any current drawing there. That will give you a better reading than looking for a draw at the battery end, and it will show you exactly the device/circuit that’s drawing power while the car isn’t running, if there is one.
- 2012 skoda superb flat battery
-
Correct orientation for a piggy back fuse in the fuse box
That’s not how a piggy back fuse works! It needs to be plugged in the right way up so the hot voltage is on the right pin to allow the circuit to work (with the tapped feed being on its own smaller fuse so it blows before taking out the original fuse in the socket). Inset it the wrong way round and everything runs off the original fuse - no isolation and if the fuse goes, you lose both power feeds at once. Inset this case, would be the dash cam and the rear wiper.
-
Correct orientation for a piggy back fuse in the fuse box
Not worth buying another one just for this. If anyone else has done a dash cam install and can confirm the correct orientation of the piggy back fuse, that would be really helpful.
-
Correct orientation for a piggy back fuse in the fuse box
No multimeter to hand alas. If I did, wouldn’t need to be asking.
-
Correct orientation for a piggy back fuse in the fuse box
Hi Fitting a hidden 12v socket for a dashcam to my Fabia II Combi at the weekend. It's been a long time since I last did one of these on a Fabia II, and I can't for the life of me remember which way round is the correct orientation for the Piggy Back fuse to connect to the "hot" side of the fuse socket I'm piggybacking. I'm using Fuse 26 (rear wiper). UK layout fuse box (so small fuses on the right, big fuses on the left). Should I go with piggy back fuse cable pointing up (fuses out to the right) or pointing down (fuses out to the left)? If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks Chris
-
Antenna upgrade
If you are just using a USB 4G or 5G stick inside the car, the stick has its own internal aerials, no need for anything else. It's also pointless, you may as well just hotspot off your phone, which also doesn't need an external aerial.
-
Antenna upgrade
GPS antenna - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182758637033?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=g_UaOp-ZS5a&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=POQie7l3QtC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY As for the LTE aerial. Yes, more recent Octys and Superbs (like mine) have a built in data modem, WiFi hotspot, and either an eSIM or sim card socket. You don’t have any of this on the Rapid and there’s no factory retrofit, so an LTE aerial is pointless.
-
Antenna upgrade
For the GPS antenna, use one of the magnetic ones and place it on the metal crossmember that runs across the top of the dashboard (you can access it via the dashboard side panels). You get excellent reception there as there’s only a thin layer of dashboard plastic above the aerial. It’s what the vast majority of us did when we retrofitted the Amundsen to our Rapids. The same GPS aerial fitting approach also works for the Mk2 Fabia, as I did the same Amundsen retrofit on one of those as well.
-
Antenna upgrade
I would advise caution. A post-production replacement of the aerial always increases the risk of water ingress if the new aerial isn’t perfectly sealed against the bodywork. Also, there’s the risk of damaging the headlining when trying to route the cables around. For those reasons, I would go with a discreet windscreen mounted DAB aerial rather than retrofitting a shark fin. Something like this: https://amzn.to/4jkMEdO Or this: https://amzn.to/3FTPKap Also makes for easier cable routing as the wiring immediately goes behind the passenger side A pillar, and then down over the top of the glove box into the infotainment space in the dash.
-
Should I buy
for £16,500 I’m sure you can find a lower-mileage example with a full service history. Keep looking.
-
What have you done to your Superb III today?
Today I've mostly been putting oil in my Superb's engine. Had a "Check Oil Level" warning yesterday afternoon (yes, been a bit lax in checking the fluids of late). Really not used to car engines that use a lot of oil between services (my Fabia doesn't, the Rapid I had didn't, and neither did the MG ZS SUV). No oil leak eitehr. Anyway, a litre of VW Spec 0w-20 later and its back up to level and seems to be happy. Lesson - check fluids regularly - especially on the 1.5 TSI :)
-
1.5 TSI Oil Consumption
So the last dipstick check I did (warm) was somewhere between two and three months ago - can’t be exact. Oil was comfortably in the B range. Couldn’t tell you for certain the last time it was still in A - somewhere between the last time it was serviced and the last time I checked the stick. Yes, the Superb is on 0w-20 VW 508/509 spec. My Rapid 1.2 TSI used 5w-30 VW 504/507 Spec, as does my current Fabia Combi 1.2 HTP. Just been back out - car is still operating temp warm having only got home a few mins ago, so it’s had a chance to settle on level ground. Dipstick check is good - back into the low end of A/top end of B: Will do another cold check later this evening as well for comparison, and will top up some more if needed. But good to know the car consumes oil at a fair rate. As I said, coming from my last three cars - two of which were/are Skodas - that didn’t/don’t go through oil at anywhere near this level, this caught me off guard. At the very least it’s a wake-up call to get back into my fortnightly routine of checking fluids on the car again.
-
1.5 TSI Oil Consumption
Afternoon all Had a bit of a surprise yesterday afternoon when I got a check oil level warning on the car. Pulled the stick a few times and, although not an entirely clear measure as the engine had already started, it seemed really low (at the minimum level). Drove to Halfords to get oil and ended up sticking a litre into it - half a litre yesterday afternoon and the rest this morning after a cold dipstick read (which got it properly back into the safe zone). Admittedly I haven’t checked the oil level for a few months (unusual for me but my usually fortnightly checks on the car have fallen victim to a lack of time lately), but in 10 months and 7,000 miles of driving, this seems like a lot of oil consumption. This this normal for this engine? My 1.2TSI Rapid didn’t seem to consume any oil at all in the 8+ years I had it. The Superb is a 2023 model, I bought it in late May 2024 with just over 5,000 on the clock. It was fully serviced by the main dealer I bought it from and had an oil change. I’ve done 7,000 in it since then. Thanks Chris