Everything posted by lol-lol
-
Electric vehicles and charging
@roottoot This UK guy in the know seems to be sure the UK will be opened up as it is Elon Musk wish to do so and will also make him billions..... I might get a Tesla Subscription as it looks worth it. Or try and get work to pay for it.
-
Electric vehicles and charging
So Tesla starting to open up its charging network to non Teslas. Game change and will make Tesla billions.
-
Best way to "buy" an electric car?
Electricity cannot get too expensive as every single person in the UK is a user, and businesses, so the pressure from 67m people will keep electricity prices under control and of course EV users can set their charging systems to charge on the early day cheap rates ie 5p a kWh so my 14 kWh I charged last night cost me 70 pence and I added 70 miles of range to the car ie 1p per mile driven on energy costs. I pay £280 a month for the PCP, only 6k miles per year and wish I had gone for more miles per year as fuel price hike and shortage hit a week after I bought it. I get a nearly £600 a month car allowance so can more than cover the PCP and running cost and can save a few thousands to but the car in 4 years time. I can charge for free at my Heathrow office on 11 kWh AC 3 phase chargers which my logistics company do not charge on to me. We Carbon rate everything we do and our customers expect data on this. Glad to see DPD who my son works for heading up the conversion to use of EV vans. Good to see French companies quickly adopting..... https://www.fleeteurope.com/en/new-energies/europe/features/how-dpd-adopting-evs-electrifying-speed?a=JMA06&t[0]=DPD&t[1]=Electric LCV&t[2]=Last Mile&t[3]=Oxford&t[4]=Maxus&curl=1 “Last year we only had 149 electric vehicles [in the UK]. Today we have 1,031, and we’ll have 1,700 by the end of the year,” said Craughan. “As a business have not ordered one final mile diesel vehicle this year and we hope not to. Electric is the way forward for DPD, that is our strategy.”
-
Electric vehicles and charging
Unless it is a Q90 Zoe it will not draw the 43 kw "only" the 22 kw. Only the Q90 had the 43 kw AC capability and if you had that option you had about 10 miles less range so was not such a win. I like the 11,16 and 22 kw chargers, as well as the girlie 3.6 kw and 7.2 kw home chargers as I think they are kinder to the battery pack compared to the 50 kw AC DC chargers. But Zoe limits the after AC/DC and voltage conversion to 124 Amps so if the traction battery is down to 350 volts you will get the 43 kw of charge rate from the 50 kw DC charger but gradually increases as the voltage increases and it maintains a good charge rate well in to the 87% mark which is probably where I would disconnect and get back on the road. Always a "BUT" and whilst I like both the IONIC and the MG and I happy with the Zoe in most regards...
-
Electric vehicles and charging
I know I am a newbie but I cannot imagine charging up usually to more than 85% as it get slow to charge after then, regeneration does not work so well when battery over 89% and I gather some chargers charge a per minute charge so value for money dives over 85 %. Zoe seems to be different as it limits charging too 125 amps to protect the long life of the traction battery which I am happy about
-
Electric vehicles and charging
Yes 5 chargers there, not all working all the time I gather. Not all EVs can charge at 22 kwh AC but I bet EVs that can only accept 7 or 11 do sometimes use the 3 phase or perhaps it does not work if one tries to draw single phase from a 3 phase charger. Whole information system still needs improving even though ZAP seem to do a good job from what I have seen.
-
new E10 Fuel and Economy
Yes it is a TCE 90 a 2014 Clio Nav S, so the 17 inch wheels do not help but look good. One car rag did report a 10% fall in the mpg but that sounded extreme and has in an even older ie 2012 TCE I think. Car is due a service in a fortnight and will make sure it gets a new air filter which is a doddle to do if the garage does not do as part of their A minor service which I think is just oil and inspection. Air filter is only £8 so will pick one up and fit it, anything to help fuel consumption with fuel being so expensive.
-
new E10 Fuel and Economy
Recall it is due to be around for a couple more years yet. Ethanol raises octane rating naturally which can mean oil companies can using even crappier petroleum and mix with the ethanol to bring it up to the required octane. Government is raking it in with the high oil prices and the poorer fuel consumption of E10 over E5 due to lower calorific value and some drivers switching to 97 to 99 octane super unleaded again means a larger tax take so they seem happy to continue as is and did not even raise the excise duties on any of the fuels from the current 58p a litre. Trying to use my Zoe where I can but my first fuel tank of E10 seem to being OK in the TCE Clio so it looks like the engines Engine Management Unit is coping with it as I am still getting the 680 mile range from its 10 gallon tank though I have seen more like over 600 miles on occasions but then I have been taking a passenger. Even HMRC say you can claim 5p a miles for a passenger and not pay tax on it. I seen shortages of E10 in some gas stations as it seems clear some drivers are trying it as well as the regular users. Been a few years since I had cars that needed it ie twin-charge Fabia and Mk 1 Octavia VRS but the occasional E5 half or full tankful seems a fair idea if it is the Tesco variety rather than Shell that costs a fortune,
-
The battery as the new frontier
We (Bollore-Blue-Solutions) already have quite high energy density for Metal lithium batteries and now licencing the tech to Mercedes who are using in their buses as we do with the buses we produce.... https://www.blue-solutions.com/en/ Now spreading out to vehicles involved in airport handling and many similar tasks. Mercedes Buses (12m) and even some of the LMP packs in the roof space which is unusual placement ie for centre of gravity etc........
-
Either Mercedes are cheap, or Skoda are expensive...
How close are you getting to its 42 miles supposed range on its traction battery ? Do you think the PHEV should be allowed the green licence plate sticker/section ?
-
Electric vehicles and charging
Only 7 kwh chargers, would like to gave seen some 11 or even 22 kwh ac chargers and also they should have some pay as you go DC I reckon.
-
MotoGP 2022 (and previous season back to 2018)
Maybe a yamaha motogp, wsb and bsb for the m1/r1, not bad for an olde inline 4.
-
What car to replace Superb?
Personally not a fan of taller vehicle but I suppose that matters less with towing, or does it ?? Anyway Towing Mag reckoned even the lighter Mk3 Octy (102 kgs lighter than the mk2 ) was good up to tonne and a half..... https://www.thetowcarawards.com/winners/2019-up-to-1400kg/
-
Zoe ZE50 one month on
Charged up last night for 4 hours on my wee 3.6 kWh Pod Point charger and that seem to take it to 98 % which I am happy with, lot of articles say do not charge to 100% lots of time as this harms the battery. Of course the EV manufacturers show 100% on their dash but that actually can charge to something like 103% just as they can discharge to -3%, those cunning manufacturers. Well happy with the displayed over 250 miles for displayed 98% battery charge which in reality is a 275 mile or 440 km range if one is OK with cruising with the trucks on the truck roads, with the occasion blip up to 70 mph to find another sweet spot in the traffic and then some 40 to 50 mph country roads where over 5 miles per kWh, probably around 5.5 miles per kWh the way it drags up the average shown on the display. Soon will have done over 1,000 miles and it has been a joy. Back seats are too tight for 6 footers I would say. The Zoe probably gets good mileage from a mix of good tech ie active cooling and being quite a narrow car. Would not suit everyone or even a family with 2 or 3 older kids, like a LEAF or maybe the PSA family of cars would. Renault will be hoping the new e-tech Megane EV will fill that role I expect and will look to replace the Zoe with one of those probably in a couple of years time.
-
Zoe ZE50 one month on
Well the Zoe EV goes from strength to strength it seems on the results stated by the onboard computer. Started the day yesterday with about 240 miles of range but went to the NEC, ie 35 miles away, did my visit, dropped someone back to their house in Redditch and went home so did 70 miles but when I got home I still had over 200 miles of range stated ! Used the onboard Google over the Airways nav to get back from Redditch and it took me back via a load of 30 to 45 mph lanes which the Zoe seem to love, pulled the power consumption back to the 5 kWh rate. I am just stunned at the, if anything, understated range of the Zoe. I do really believe it can do 270 miles with a cruise at the infamous 56 mph once used for extra-urban fuel consumption and if one is forced to do only 40-45 mph down the country lanes then close to 300 miles is possible range for the Zoe. (At least in this circa 15c ambient temp). I will top off on 4.9p Octopus nuclear base load power after midnight, will cost me a princely 75 pence or so, wonder if the range will show 270-ish, that would be stunning, currently 75% charge and 204 miles range displayed.
-
Vauxhall Corsa electric 2020 Fault (maybe faults) in first 6 weeks & various over the next 3 years.
Does the e-corsa do over the air updates ? I think their occasional one happening for various sub systems on the Zoe. It did a multi-media one a few days ago, took about 10 minute of the Zoe's EE OTA connection. Lost a bunch of settings. As to the range calculation does seem to have a occasional re-think after a charge. Maybe it is doing another calculation on range when the car is asked to re-initialise some time after a recharge and take in to account ambient temperature when doing so, would not be surprised and in fact would really expect it too. As long as the recalc follows a logical pattern ie its got colder and it knocks a few miles off but as long as these recalc still sounds good on the useful and expected range for the Zoe. Next tests will be to precondition the car whilst it is still tethered to the Pod Point and see how that effects range between start of preconditioning and leave moment.
-
Electric vehicles and charging
Shell laying out its plans for the future for EV charging at its converted petrol stations..... Costs is not cheap at 41p a kWh but looks convenient. I have two useful ones on my routes from Worcester to London ie on the A44 and A417/A46, my two favourite routes. Only just over a hundred now but 5,000 more due in the next 5 years.
-
Vauxhall Corsa electric 2020 Fault (maybe faults) in first 6 weeks & various over the next 3 years.
I try and help the Zoe range predictor by resetting the trip I can if I start a journey which is going to be a cruise after having just done a blast and he consumption has gone down to between 3 and 4 miles per kWh. It helps but does not fully reset the range prediction as there is clearly another range recording within the car that I cannot see which it is also referring to. Odd that the car does not have 2 or 3 power usage recording "registers" like ICE cars do, seems it only has one visible and one the car keeps to itself. Had to nip down to Gloucestershire as one of the ICE cars had a cracked diesel injector that was flooding the engine. So many things to go wrong with those complex ICE machines. Overhead motorway signs stating GLoucester service EV charging out of service. At least it got a mention on the road signs. More one gets to know EVs the more one starts to appreciate their foibles. As a newbie wondering how much fast charges damage the battery compared to slow charging ? Should I expect to show 1 or 2 % every 10K miles I half expect.
-
new E10 Fuel and Economy
E5 shortage.... https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1505804/e10-petrol-changes-fuel-efficiency-e5 Twitter user David Reynolds claimed: “The impact of E10 fuel on MPG is still hitting me. “Now down from 33.5 MPG to 28.7MPG from my Kia Sportage AWD. All petrol stations within 10 miles have diesel and E10 but no E5.” Express.co.uk commenter Trevor Ammanford said there was now “plenty of E5 fuel available at your local filling station for older cars” because of the recent petrol price increases. In response, fellow commenter, Tabby Menace claimed: “Not where I live. “Some of my local supermarket garages are out of E5 and have been for a week.
-
Electric vehicles and charging
Another incisive article by the Daily Express, rain is wet etc...... https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1506491/electric-vehicles-range-issues-winter-advice Drivers warned of electric vehicle range issues in colder weather – how to ‘boost mileage’ ELECTRIC vehicle owners are being warned of potential range issues from colder temperatures in the winter. According to Renault, its latest electric Zoe model will do as much as 295 miles when travelling at a steady speed of 31 miles per hour when the outside temperature is 20 degrees. In the highly unlikely case that the temperature drops to -15 degrees, the same car travelling at the same speed will do just 220 miles. The faster the car is being driven, the lower the range, and in sub-zero temperatures, drivers can expect less than 100 miles of range in a Zoe at 80mph. Colder temperatures can also have an effect on charging stations, as public rapid-charging stations may be slower. In the highly unlikely case that the temperature drops to -15 degrees, the same car travelling at the same speed will do just 220 miles. The faster the car is being driven, the lower the range, and in sub-zero temperatures, drivers can expect less than 100 miles of range in a Zoe at 80 colder temperatures can also have an effect on charging stations, as public rapid-charging stations may be slower........... Drivers are advised to park their vehicle in an enclosed space, as it will trap heat and allow the battery to hold its charge for longer. This also helps when charging the vehicle, as the choice between parking and charging outdoors compared to in a multi-story, the indoor option will help the car run like normal. Most electric cars come with useful apps for drivers phones, allowing them to heat the car from the comfort of their home. Drivers are advised to park their vehicle in an enclosed space, as it will trap heat and allow the battery to hold its charge for longer. This also helps when charging the vehicle, as the choice between parking and charging outdoors compared to in a multi-story, the indoor option will help the car run like normal. Most electric cars come with useful apps for drivers phones, allowing them to heat the car from the comfort of their home.
-
Zoe ZE50 one month on
It was an interesting journey yesterday morning to LHR. For the first 30 miles the power consumption was closer to 4 than 5 miles per kWh. The journey starts here in Worcester where I am effectively just on the rolling countryside on the edge of the River Severn flood plain and the height above sea level is probably about 100 feet. Drive up the M5, climb all the way up to the Brum plateau getting up to nearly 700 feet ASL and then it is fairly flat all the way to until one get to the cut through the Chilterns range. EV just loves that, pick the right squarish transom sterned vehicle 16T truck or whatever to dream one is Ricky Booby in Talledega nights just about to do the draft pass and bingo 5 miles per kWh slowly comes up on the display.
-
Zoe ZE50 one month on
Might encourage many to drive the shorter routes on the A roads through towns and villages rather than use the longer but slightly quicker motorways. Is this what the Con government want to encourage ie not using the M40 but driving the shorter route though the Cotswold towns and villages to save road pricing mileage I wonder ?
-
Zoe ZE50 one month on
My Octopus Go rate on my last bill was----- 04:30 to 00:30 14.90p per kWh + VAT = 15.645p per kWh 00:30 to 04:30 4.76p per kWh + VAT = 4.998p per kWh So both blooming cheap it seems to me. Is it not due to go in October 2021 so maybe my next bill will be a much higher rate. ie 24p.per kWh for the 20 hours but still 5p a kWh for the 4 hours when I program the EV to get its charge from the house. I shall be doing much more of the tumble drying in the cheap period I think. My heating is gas and I have a brand new 94% efficient Valient boiler fitted a couple of months ago which with its 40% improvement in efficiency and dropping my boiler cover package with British gas I am saving about £50 a month so the new boiler pays for itself in the 5 years. Electricity De France have some very big out-goings with their mass of nuclear power stations but they are going renewable as well. Just bought two dozen LED spot lights and candle bulbs to save on the lecky and one notice a huge amount of less incidental heat that would have come from the old halogen bulbs so the gas heating will have to work a bit harder but gas is effectively 3p a kWh so many times cheaper than electricity for heating of course. The new taxes on Employee and Employer National Insurance will cripple some people financially as well as no rise in tax allowances so ,many working people will have much less money and in the UK we will in April become more taxed as a percentage of earnings than ever before.
-
Zoe ZE50 one month on
Well the electricity surplus during the midnight to 5am slot is clearly present today, so many nuclear power stations wanting to have its uptime as close to 100% as possible to pay back the huge capital cost, France more than an other European country has a massive nuclear base load it tried to sell all over Western Europe via the inter-connector. France is trying to blackmail the UK over the 3 GW France-UK interconnector supply over the Channel Island Fishing and handling the Channel migration issues but that is more difficult now the UK has just plugged in a 1.4 GW interconnector with Norwegian hydro. We will just have to see on electricity pricing. UK gov could up the VAT on electricity from its current 5% level but that would hurt everyone. UK gov could also start charging road tax, I would happily pay similar to the Fabia and Clio ie £35 a year, fair is fair. The Instavolt network of rapid DC chargers charge 40p a kWh so there is 2p of kWh of tax on that. Charging VAT at 20% on charger stations would be another tax raising power. There are ways but tax on charging at home is difficult when many of us EV owners can charge via a 3 pin plug. Electricity should get cheaper with more offshore wind and better more efficient, cheaper solar also being supplied. My next step will probably be home solar and my own separate battery storage.
-
Zoe ZE50 one month on
Well it was just a test and without absolutely knowing I could drive 120 miles and still have more than half my charge left say at least 130 or 140 miles left was the tactic. So I achieved the phenomenal over 5 miles per kWh and had 140 miles still left on the range meter when I arrived at Heathrow. As I said the charging was traumatic not due to the charging but the cable removal but more valuable lessons learned on EV charge post functioning. I will get my office to service all the charge posts so it does not happen again. The return journey Heathrow to Worcester, probably 115 miles was done at higher speeds closer to the National Speed Limit. Use power at 4.8 KWh and got home with 100 miles of range showing. Plugged in to my 3.6 kWh charger, added 60 miles over night, Smart meter shows I have used about 15kWh since midnight so that is 75 pence of electricity so I am currently paying 1.25 pence per mile for energy to power the car. Overall success. Further tests will be for the colder weather but Zoe heating unit seemed fine coping with outside temperature of 7C in the morning and it only consumed 0.4 kWh of power there and back to Heathrow. So cruising in the low 60s mph with the ECO button pressed, occasional kickdown on the accelerator to unleash the 135 hp of instant power to find a quite cruising spot away from the intimidating crowds of trucks seems to work well in terms of economy, fun and safely.