Everything posted by Vijay2018
-
1.9 TDi Timing belt kits
I've just messaged the supplier as Google says it should be an ina tensioner pulley, not a gates
-
1.9 TDi Timing belt kits
very disappointed to see the INA kits uses a Gates tensioner
-
Engine mount bolts?
Cheers Pete. What do you mean "fasteners that are taken into the plastic region"?
-
Engine mount bolts?
Hello bud, Exactly as I've read, anything 1/4 torn are stretch. Ai tells me they are an extra turn but I'll try and look into it further. Someone on a fb page said he's always just reused them without a worry
-
Engine mount bolts?
Hi, Does anyone know which ones are stretch bolts and need replacing when doing the timing belt on a 2004 Mk1 1.9 1u5 Octy? AI is doing my head in today telling me different numbers Cheers Vijay
-
1.9 TDi Timing belt kits
it was the only part that showed age. I expected the water pump to be shot cos I'd overheated and HG went. That was perfect. The belt looks brand new, no cracks at all. Bearings and rollers looked ok but I guess they're more difficult to tell. I'm going to get an INA kit
-
1.9 TDi Timing belt kits
-
1.9 TDi Timing belt kits
Hey Alasdair, How you doing? I asked on FB too and read that Gates are good on the belts but outsourced the other parts in recent years and gone downhill. I threw it in Google AI and said the same. INA has been recommended as the top kit you can get
-
1.9 TDi Timing belt kits
Hi all, In the process of an engine rebuild and looking for some advice on timing belt kits for my 2004 1.9 TDi 110 ASV. I've used a Gates kit before which seemed fine but wondered if anyone has used Febi or Continental? Also read a bit about plastic v metal impellors, people saying the plastic ones can come loose on the shaft. The kits I've mentioned all come with a plastic impellor, replicating OEM. The Gates one I removed was fine after 5+ years. Cheers for any advice. Vijay
-
End of the road?
And I had a Gates kit fitted about 5 years ago which AI says used a plastic impeller as per OEM. Before seeing a lot saying about the plastic v metal impeller, I'd wondered if my water pump was working properly. I tried seeing what water was coming back through that expansion pipe a few weeks back. I looked at idle and at 2k revs. I'm not sure how much water should have been flowing but it certainly didn't look that much of a flow to me and made me wonder if my water pump was working as it should. MY HG or head definitely has an issue as it's failed a gf sniffer test and it's bubbles galore in the expansion tank. It also gets to 100C on idle with the thermostat out
-
End of the road?
Good idea with a compression test, never know what it might help with later if anyone asks. Will have to get a locking set. Watching videos to get my head around everything and what's needed. Already got a square spline set
-
End of the road?
timing belt change: write up https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/timing-belt-marks-wandering.413904/ another https://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/how-to-install-a-skoda-octavia-timing-belt/ Handy video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coS1uZFRPwc
-
End of the road?
Hello bud, I'm definitely leaning on removing the cylinder head and going from there. I'm looking to see if I can find a write up on the timing belt and cylinder head first
-
End of the road?
Have to be honest, I'm leaning towards refurbing the engine but no real idea what's involved. Done 2 cylinders heads in my time and no further engine work. Always done normal servicing and tackle most jobs, but out of ten how bad would it be? Would any timing have to be locked into place when you remove the head and pistons? I assume not as everything has to be removed?? How difficult is it to time everything back up with a new belt kit?
-
End of the road?
Hey guys, Sadly it's looking like my Octavia days which have been pretty brilliant could be at an end, unless I can find a replacement engine. Looking like a blown head gasket/cracked/warped head so it's not driveable now and boiling away (95C+ even without the thermostat in). It's also had a burning engine oil issue for years. It's a 110 ASV engine. So my options are: Say goodbye to my brilliant Octavia ☹️ Try and find a replacement engine, throw it in and hope. Downsides are obviously they are bound to be old engines with high mileage Pull the head off my car and get the head checked and possibly skimmed. Attempt a rebuild to sort out the oil burning. My mate is pretty handy around VW engines and very knowledgeable but doesn't live local. He knows a place to do any machining who also is a VW head so that helps too. I spoke to the machine guy who said the rebuild is the only real option if I want a reliable engine. I've worked on my own cars for years and have tools. What I don't have is a workshop or experience/knowledge of engine work. What would you do? Cheers Vijay
-
Engine oil in coolant :(
I did many times and it cleaned things up before. I think without something to break down the oil, couldn't see how cold water from a hose would flush any oil out
-
Engine oil in coolant :(
I'm hoping I have a oil cooler issue again and not the HG. I wondered if it was ok to bypass the water side of the oil cooler for a short while and see if I'm still getting oil in the coolant? What damage/negative effects would I have if the coollant side of the oil cooler was bypassed? Cheers Vijay
-
Xenon lamp unit question (stupid after owning for 5 years lol)
cheers mate, I was being proper thick lol
-
Xenon lamp unit question (stupid after owning for 5 years lol)
can't believe I didn't realize it was the foglight
-
Xenon lamp unit question (stupid after owning for 5 years lol)
What is the outer bulb for? I have a low sidelight bulb and halogen in one unit (inner), then the xenon d2s bulb in the middle but there is the outer bulb unit that does nothing. Any idea?
-
Engine rebuild?
Thanks bud but I'd need a non PD engine as I run bio Mate, I really would be single if I brought that home lol
-
Engine rebuild?
changed that before and made no difference at all. I tried the "elephant mod" into a clear bottle and got next to no oil into the bottle
-
Engine rebuild?
It's always used that much since I bought the car 5 odd years ago. The oil in the coolant has been the last 6 months or so. Turbo has been changed twice since I've owned the car. I'll check the intercooler as I added a drain screw into it so pretty easy to do
-
Engine rebuild?
I did look at getting the kit to do it before but something put me off. I'll look at it again...
-
Engine rebuild?
Sorry mate, I actually got that wrong, it's more like 3l of oil every 1k!!!! 😲 so yeah you're right, soon adds up. I do get some but I'd imagine I should have seen loads of blue smoke using that much oil