Skip to content

Vijay2018

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Vijay2018

  1. I did a compression test a few months back and got the following 460, 380, 390 and 400
  2. Cheers Mike. That gives me some sort of rough idea pricing. Given the chance I'd be up for buying a donor car but my Mrs would strangle me or I'd at least be single. She's a gooden so no way can I get a donor car lol
  3. Yeah I thought it probably would be. Any idea what you'd imagine it'd cost for a head gasket/rebuild or engine swap? I'd be happy to give it a go but the problem is my tools are in storage and I only have a drive to work on. Then having the car off the road would leave me pretty stranded :( Second hand engine is definitely an option but as you say, could be straight into another problem engine
  4. Looking very much like my engine is giving up the ghost and at 253k odd on the clock, it's done well. It's a 1.9 ASV It's been using engine oil for a while (probably a litre every 1k) and now got engine oil in the coolant. I've changed the oil cooler but there still seems to be oil in there. Also losing coolant out of the expansion tank on a regular basis. The car still drives amazingly well even for a 20 odd year old car. So the big question is do I get rid or do I try and get the engine rebuilt? Anyone have any idea of costs involved and anyone who still does this type of work?
  5. Thanks Dean, Apart from the MOT situation, what was your view on LED in a xenon headlamp unit?
  6. Morning Dean, Thanks for the info. What's the issue with led and mot's?
  7. Hi all, Just wondered if there's anything I can do with my dipped headlights which just never seem to be bright enough (main beam is fine). My lights always seem to feel drowned out by oncoming cars and I need some lights to get through country lanes safely. Are there LED bulbs that can be used? Vehicle is a 2004 L&K estate with standard xenons Cheers Vijay
  8. just to update, the 10 tooth starter motor has been working perfectly
  9. I don't know anyone in any vag dealers, in fact any garages lol An extension bit would be grand. I did search before but found nothing for diesel testers. According to AI that one is just for petrol engines
  10. Hello mate, The first one is pretty much what I've got. The problem is where the quick release fitting is, is exactly where the injector lines are. So wondered if there was a longer glow plug fitting to clear the hardlines
  11. Morning, By any chance have you guys comes across a flexible compression tester adapter or possible a much longer fitting? When I did a compression test a few months back, there was no way my tester adapter would fit without undoing the injector pipe near it. Even then I had to squeeze it into place which I just didn't like and can't believe that was normal. I've attached a pic to show where I mean (1.9 ASV engine). Yellow dot is the glow plug in question with the injector hardlines in red. Cheers Vijay
  12. Just spoke to a very helpful guy at Apec who confirmed the 10 teeth starter motor will mesh perfectly with the flywheel
  13. bring my old post back to life as my starter motor packed up yesterday. Now got the initial issue of The p/n on it is VW AG 02A 911 024 G and it has 11 teeth. Looking on Google/Ebay/Febi/other maunfacturers it shows it has 10 teeth, so surely can't be the right as I imagine it will grind???? Appreciate any urgent help as I'm off the road
  14. There's bound to be air in the system as I've been flushing it. I know when I did a coolant flush last year it took weeks for the air to come out. I have had cool air out of the heaters but only now and again and has been linked with low coolant. 99% of the time the heaters work as they should I do think this is more than just air in the system sadly though..................
  15. I guess that makes sense with the variable. I hoped like some other systems you can fool the ecu into thinking the engine temp is hotter. The concern is my head/head gasket my have gone. I had oil in the water a few months ago and changed the oil cooler. I've been flushing the coolant out over and over but can still see specs of oil. I also get water coming out of the expansion tank. I've changed the cap but water was still coming out. I monitor my coolant temps using Torque app on my phone. It normally sits 89-92C so I believe my thermostat is working ok(Changed it last year and used a Febi one). But on nearly every journey, I get a spike in the coolant temp where it goes to 97-99C but goes down almost as quick as it spiked.
  16. Hi Pete, That does make sense, thank you. Any idea what the engine coolant temp would need to be to turn on the fan low/high speeds? Do you by any chance know if VCDS can check the operating temps of the fan switch?
  17. Noticed yesterday that the fans aren't coming on when my torque app says the coolant temps got to 95C. Both fans come on when the aircon or heating are turned on so they physically work. I'm wondering if it's the temperature fan switch? https://partsfinder.bilsteingroup.com/en/article/febi/36563?make=%C5%A0koda&model=Octavia+I+Combi+1996+-+2010&vehicle=1.9+TDI+-+81+kW+%2F+110+hp or is there something else to look at? Fuses all look fine at the battery box. It's a 2004 1.9 ASV diesel. Cheers Vijay
  18. Appreciate all the advice
  19. Job done. I think that little cable was a bit stretched as with the new lock, the outside handle had to be fully pulled for the lock to open and it was already on the last groove. I just put a knot in it and that reduced it by about 5mm, giving me plenty of adjustment. Onto the next job lol
  20. thanks guys, I'll give this a go tomorrow :)
  21. Door lock has decided to fail but managed to get the door open with the various guides on here. I've got a new lock but I can't for the life of me get the lock out. I've undone the 2 x splined bolts but there's the small cable that goes to the outside door handle that I just can't get out. Is there a special trick to this? Cheers Vijay
  22. I didn't know that. What about the other parts that go with it though, pump and tensioners etc? Isn't it just safe to get it all done?
  23. Hi, Not sure what you mean? surely it has to be done at certain intervals?
  24. Hey guys, How time fly's!!! Can't believe it's 5 years ago since I was looking for my timing belt to be done!!!!!!!! Just wondered what the correct schedule for the timing belt/kit to be done? on a 1.9 ASV engine? Cheers Vijay
  25. changed the cooler today. Not a bad job apart from the nut size which was bigger than 24mm (largest I have). I ended up using a plumbers basin wrench, which allowed me to undo it at an angle and grip the large bolt. Will pressure test the old one when I get 5 minutes to see if there was a leak.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.