Skip to content

Graham Butcher

FREEDOM
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Graham Butcher

  1. Haha, you're sounding like a right old Ebenezer guy 😁
  2. The real issue here is that the big push towards electrification is happening before we have actually learned all there is to know about their varied failure modes and how to effectively repair them safely at the component level rather then complete assembly level. Governments are trying to run before they have effectively learnt to walk. There is another good garage that can work on EVs in London and they have their own YT channel and website . I have been watching their channel for a while now, and they are very impressive, but we need many more garages with their skills, and I have no doubt that we will get there eventually, but not before we will have many significant issues along the way www.ogsmechanics.com www.youtube.com/@OGSMechanics
  3. Good, I'm genuinely pleased for you that you're happy and satisfied with your choice; however, that is not true for everyone, and not everyone would be willing to make the sacrifices, or indeed in some cases be able to even consider a transition to an EV for a plethora of reasons. Some have already been mentioned, others not. I know that right now, the cost of diesel is hard to swallow but for most folk who actually own their cars, i.e. not on leases or company schemes etc, for the extra costs incurred in buying an EV and having a chargers installed (if they can) that the cost of doing so would fund the actual increased cost of the diesel for many tens of thousands of miles and years to come, so if their cars, like mine, are relatively modern and running perfectly OK, the switching over would have a negative effect on their finances at a time when there is the highest pressure of all time on them.
  4. No surprise there, even less range if using the heating etc, far worse than it us with an ICE vehicle which use wasted energy for heating. . Why are you surprised by it, you always come across as well seasoned EV owner and driver of many years standing.
  5. Indeed, but the reason why I commented on it in the first place is that A) it is not a PSA on TV where they normally show warnings/advice such as this, B) it is extremely early for such warnings and was possibly so because of the real threat to global oil because of the Donalds' illegal war, and C) it appeared on a site that I just happened to be one of long standing local moderators on, and this is the very first time that such a warning has appeared, and hence why I thought that EVr's might like to know.
  6. Charger cables have been stolen for a while and as the price of copper goes up, and faster charges introduced, they need larger cables which become more attractive to thieves. It's a vicious circle really.
  7. Thanks, so that's why Ofgem are posting those messages. I looked on some of the news channels and there was nothing there about it. So it was not scaremonging but there could be problems on the horizon. Maybe they worried because it has been really cold the last couple of days and people are turning the heating on?
  8. How odd and weird that they have only just suddenly started posting this then, as we head into winter, just saying.
  9. The national grid does not look to be very robust; Ofgem have started to post the following advice on social media.
  10. Not strictly electric car related, but I know that many EV'ers also have home battery installations, so this is a warning of possible troubles; I would not want anyone to suffer.
  11. I'm afraid that the whole diesel thing has not been thoroughly thought through at all. If what you would like to see happens, it won't be long before everyone involved will object to the impact that their decisions have had on life as we know it. Just sit and think of all the things that we take completely for granted today that are actually only possible because of the use of diesel. Everything from goods in shops, to mayor superstructure, roads, bridges, and buildings etc. We should all be very careful of the things we wish for, as most of them will come back and bite, and bite hard.
  12. You're right, this is pure clickbait; diesel is going to be around in huge volumes for many years to come for all of the reasons already mentioned.
  13. Ouch, this is bad.
  14. One would certainly hope so, but as we already know, they don't; journalism is rife with inaccuracies, and used in clickbaits and draws people in.
  15. That kind of makes sense; it must be to do with the way the cars start and stop. We all know that they have tremendous torque right from the start; even the mild hybrid Qashqai had that, and we also know that the regen can also be very powerful, so unless the driver adjusts their style of driving, the passengers can experience lots of whiplash moments, especially in town driving. I know from my car that my wife can suffer from sidewise motion, as she has zero sense of how to react when taking a corner or rounding a bend, for example, and sorts of rolls with the car, whereas anyone who has driving experience automatically stiffens themselves instinctively accordingly. The author of that article suggested that could be the quietness of the car; that sucks to me, as there are simply loads of very quiet cars. Even diesel cars can be very hushed, as witnessed by the number of diesel-powered luxury cars around.
  16. Question for you electric car owners/drivers: have any of your passengers ever complained about motion sickness? Why electric cars might be making some passengers feel sick - BBC News
  17. I hope you didn't deduce that from what I posted because 1967 were the days when petrol was reasonably cheap, just a couple of years later I was running a Vanden Plas 3 Litre limo which I remember having to sell reluctantly in 1973 because of the chances of rationing, we were even given ration books for petrol, and that car drank fuel like there was no tomorrow.
  18. @Evolution13 well, this would be in 1967 and I can remember that when I started working in 1964 I was earning £2/10/0d (£2.50) as an apprentice so I guess I would be earning about £7 to £8 by that stage.
  19. On that note, when I started driving, I had a Hillman Minx and I remember petrol costing 6 bob and 8 pence, a gallon in old money or 3 gallons for £1. Oh, how things change.
  20. That is just what they want to try and convince everyone to believe; it's all BS really. All they will do with the trade-in is to sell it on quickly to a second hand dealer in order to try to convince the next punter looking to buy new that only EV models are available with the vague hope of hitting their sales quota and avoiding any fines coming along for missing it.
  21. Are you sure that you're not a paid shiel for the government policies? Personally, I know that I would be far more inclined to believe them if I were able to see some real evidence that they were building all the infrastructure required to cope with both the current demand and also a decent headroom for the future, along with a clear and demonstrable plan that the infrastructure would continue to grow in advance of the demand and not lag it. In addition, they should lead from the front so we can all see that they are, in fact, relying solely on all the new technologies for all of their needs, both on an official capacity and on a personal level.
  22. Honestly, do you truly believe that? How can you be so sure that the decline in gas-powered "peaker" generation is happening and is not some fabrication to create that we are actually greener? In other words, is it really just even more greenwashing?
  23. I absolutely fail to fathom just how so many people get so excited and crow about how registrations are continually on the increase when all that means is that more cars than before have been registered with the DVLA and have been given taxed status. How many times does it need to be explained that it does not mean actually sold to new owners as everyday drivers, unlike your Renault 5. Many of those cars are "registered", as they are counted by the DVLA (in other words, the UK government) as another car towards their annual target and save the motor trade from the punitive £15k fine for each car that is below their annually increasing targets. This figure is just going to continue to grow year on year until these targets are scrapped and the sales are left to market forces, at which time the market will show the true sales of each type of car after the huge inventory of pre-registered cars is finally sold.
  24. And of course, a granny cable also the restricts by a large margin, the speed of charging, further reducing the usefulness of home charging,furthering the tiers of EV ownership.
  25. But it is how it works for you, sadly there many others who do not share your particular circumstances or your luck. Many live in rented accommodation so the cost is is a total burden to them. As to increasing the value of your home, that is debatable, it's only an asset if the buyer has a need of a charger, or it is not out of date at time of selling the house.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.