4X4 and Scout Fuel Economy

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I am think about getting a 1.9 4X4 or 2 litre diesel Scout to replace my Freelander.

I'm getting around 35 - 36 mpg in the Freelander at the moment. Can anyone give me an idea of the real economy figures of the 1.9 4X4 and the Scout?

Also are there any particular problems that these cars are prone to?

Thanks,

Dave

Guest wilkopilko

Hi Dave,

Having nearly covered 20k miles since July in a diesel Scout, I can say that a normal 250mile round trip mostly on motorways I am seeing 45+ average sometimes above 50mpg, I make progress when driving too if you know what I mean...;).

If I am going across country say typically the west country mainly on A roads 250+ mile round trip then I get anything between 43 - 47 average.

Tyes are still great & look like they have another 5K in them - not sure if this could be down to it being part-time 4x4 as I've never had more than 20K out of a set of boots on any of my previous cars?

No problems yet - I thought I had a suspect steering rack issue but infact has dissapeared by itself.

I hope this helps.

W.

Hi

With the 4x4 we are currently on 19,000+ km not had any problems so far, first service was under 15,000km.

Fuel 5,90 lts diesel -100km that's 45.73 miles per gal I think, down to 80% motorway driving more recently, consumption hasn't really changed, accept the fuel is more expensive of course.

Thread under this heading may help you.

Octy Scout owners - any problems so far? (

Good luck.

------------------------------------

Octy 2, 1.9 TDI PD Ambiente 4x4 Combi and Nissan Sunny 2.0 DLX, Company Octy 1.9 TDI Tour Combi.

The above is a very fair statement of what the Scout can achieve . Have only had my vehicle for 4 weeks 9 (2500 miles ) and I am already seeing those figures on the trip computer . Some say that , being diesel , the figures will improve further over the next 10K .

Guest wilkopilko
The above is a very fair statement of what the Scout can achieve . Have only had my vehicle for 4 weeks 9 (2500 miles ) and I am already seeing those figures on the trip computer . Some say that , being diesel , the figures will improve further over the next 10K .

Aye, mine has been getting better over the months - I was struggling to get above 44mpg on motorways when it was new, but then that is what Skoda states - 44.1 average.

I guess it comes down to how you lay the power down, you can get up to a reasonable speed the hard way or the economic way! I have also found that there is significant change in MPG just under 80mph than just over it & the difference in journey time is nothing. Cruise control at 80mph seems to be the best for economy & progress.:cool:

I agree with the other posters - my two month old diesel Scout has just under 2000 miles on the clock and the economy is around 42 mpg overall. Like the others I expect this to improve as the engine beds in. If you are looking for outright economy the 1.9 diesel engine will be better. However as a package, albeit more expensive, the Scout is a better buy in my opinion. I simply love it!

By the way I tow a caravan and get just about 30 mpg towing 1250 kg.

Im getting 48-52 out of a 1.9tdi 4x4 05 estate generally A roads with lots of hills I also use a two bike thule carrier attached to the towbar which drops the mpg by no more than 1-2mpg when attached.

Getting 42 mpg with my 2.0d scout thats with the wife taking it to her work each day about 20 miles per day on slow country roads. Went to blackpool last month with my caravan ,I reckon the caravan weighs about 1350kgs total ,did just under 800 miles with the van on and worked it out at 25.2 mpg which I thought was quite poor but most of the way was done at about 60 mph ,anyway its still only got 7000 miles on the clock so it should get better, hopefully.

I've done almost 30,000 miles in my 1.9 4x4 now - on a nice long trip, mainly motorway/dual carriage way it does around 45mpg at "motorway speeds" and into the low 50's if I slow down a bit. Around town on short journeys it does drop to around 37ish - As for towing the caravan, I'm on holiday then, so who cares!!!

As for tyres, I've just had all four original ones replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to a high coefficent of drag the speed you go will make a big difference.

As when calculating drag speed is squared....

I think that I posted something on the thread ref remap for scout.

something like

true 67, 70 speedo - approx 50mpg

true 70, 74 speedo - approx 46mpg

ture 75, 79 speedo - approx 40mpg

this is based on a trip down to london, the 67 and 70 are real word the 75 is a calculated figure.

as miles build things get better, when my scout went over 7k i think it got a lot more responsive :-)

They where based on tesco diesel so a bit can be gained by using a better quality fuel. There is also millers diesel sport 4 i think its called, but you'd have to check skoda's view on fuel additives..

For interest, and with reference to thewez's comments, the CD of a normal Octavia is apparently 0.30 (surprisingly good, IMO), but the higher ground clearance of the 4x4 and particularly Scout does knock this back to 0.32 according to Skoda's figures. The Scout might even be a bit worse as it is higher than the 4x4 but I haven't seen a specific figure quoted. These figures are still extremely good compared to a normal SUV, or even a CUV, though.

We have now updated our fuel findings a little, on the 4x4.

From new until first service at 15000km we found average was Fuel 5,90 lts diesel -100km that's 45.73 miles per gal , 80% motorway driving .

Now with 21000km and car nearly 6 months old, ( more fuel awareness) 80% motorway using 5.6lt-100km that's 48.25 mpg. Figure's taken are average's only, so our average fuel consumption is now slightly less using same roads, only change is winter to summer tyres. When we are in a hurry speed/fuel goes up, if not, we THINK!! more about the fuel saving and a 4.5 hr motorway trip becomes 5hrs sometimes. We are happy anyway with all that Skoda have given us so far in this car. :thumbup:

------------------------------------

Octy 2, 1.9 TDI PD Ambiente 4x4 Combi and Nissan Sunny 2.0 DLX, Company Octy 1.9 TDI Tour Combi.

Hi!

At the moment my average fuel economy (4x4 1.9TDi) is about 6.4l/100km (real is more like 6.3). Maxidot reports (optimistic) at 6.1 average. I usually drive quite carefully, but I have over 1200m of height difference in the daily 100km commute (live on a hill, drive over another one).

Cheers, Leto

21714.attach

Guest wilkopilko

I drove up to Edinburgh last Thursday & home again the Friday - a 730 mile round trip consisiting of M40/M42/M6/M74/A74 J13 A702 to Edinburgh & the same again on the Friday going home & managed 46.9mpg there & 47.5mpg home - of course it was better going home 'cos its all down hill....:P.

Then today went to Newport on the Isle of Wight & back 260 mile round trip again 47mpg average - M40/A34/M3/M27/A31 to Lymington.

Not sure how accurate the Maxidot is with its MPG data but thats what I got!

W.

Wilkopilko - Annoying similar to my 2.0TDI Elegance!

I say annoying because I went for the standard 2WD for the better economy and emissions. I've only done 6,000 miles, so perhaps it'll loosen some more.

I like the look of the Scout a lot.

Guest wilkopilko

Hi Les,

I was told by a friend of mine who worked as a mechanic at the local VW dealer prior to buying the Scout that the 4x4 Haldex Clutch also found in the 4-Motion VW's really didn't effect the economy compared to the 2WD variants if your cruising up & down m-ways, it will only hurt more if you boot it everywhere because of its extra weight, so far he was bang on.

For your information I didn't get much above 44mpg until I was over 10-12k miles & now seeing repeated 46+ mpg journeys & can only say yours will improve much more!

All 4 boots are wearing pretty much at the same rate & will need replacing in the next 4-7k miles, I will probably go for Michelin Primacys as I used to use these on my previous motors & was always happy with there wear & noise levels, they aren't the stickiest rubber around but then I guess you have to sacrifice some grip for longevity - if a little pricey.

ATB,

W.