1.4tdi vs 1.9tdi mpg at 70 mph???

It seems that the 1.4 tdi 80 and 1.9 tdi pull a different amount of revs at 70 mph. I was wondering what mpg people with either engine get when cruising steadily at 70 mph. Either the trip computer read out or your own maths, whichever you wish. Feel free to state how many people were in the car or how much luggage you were carrying too. Thank you and I look forward to reading the results.

I'd say the official extra-urban figures would be a good starting point, less a factor of maybe 5% to get round the optimism connected with 'official' figures in the real world. Of course, it would depend what flavour of 1.4 and 1.9, but the official figures are 67.3 mpg for the 1.4 (all power outputs???), and 68.9-64.2 for the 1.9s. By that reckoning, then, the 100bhp 1.9 should have it on the motorway...

I'm sorry if I was a bit vague. I was hoping to compare the new model fabia with the 1.4 tdi 80 and 19tdi 105 engines. Manufacturers figures aside, in the real world what mpg do you get when cruising at 70mph. I don't think the manufacturers extra urban figures are when cruising at 70 which is why I asked the question to help decide which engine would be best for me. Thank you!!!

I would have thougt the taller gearing and extra grunt of the PD105 would be better on the motorway - the engine isn't working that hard really at 70mph. By comparison the PD80 is having to work a fair bit harder and from the sounds of it has shorter gear ratios, although the 1.4 would undoubtably win around town and probably win on country A and B roads.

I'm just getting rid of my almost new 1.4 TDI (80HP) as the fuel economy is abyssmal compared to my old VRS or 90HP Octavia.

50 mpg is the best I could get motorway cruising at 70 mph, the same as the figure for urban use. That's not far short of 20 mpg less than I got in my VRS and old Octavia.

The urban figure of 50 mpg for urban use is about right but if you do much long distance driving don't go for the 1.4 engine.

I'm replacing the 1.4 Fabia with a 1.9 Octavia.

Just been out at lunchtime so checked - To be pedantic it was 2550rpm at 70. Consumption on level ground varied between 53 - 57mpg.

TBH, I'm not quite sure whether people are asking too much of the 1.4tdi. It seems to me that to be a good engine it almost has to outperform the 1.9 in all areas?????

Perhaps today buyers expect a deal of honesty. In the event of white goods or the scope of a laptop we expect that claimed to be near the mark. I however, agree that perhaps too much is expected and as mentioned by a number of threaders it is only a three pot and may well not achieve the claims until the engine has some mileage on it. At work we have a number of petrol / diesel fleet vehicles and I have found that the higher mileage ones perform the best in many areas.

Just been out at lunchtime so checked - To be pedantic it was 2550rpm at 70. Consumption on level ground varied between 53 - 57mpg.

TBH, I'm not quite sure whether people are asking too much of the 1.4tdi. It seems to me that to be a good engine it almost has to outperform the 1.9 in all areas?????

Where it does out perform the 1.9 is Road Tax and price. Mind I read tonight, the new Ibiza 1.9tdi is £35 a year road tax and they have ditched the 1.4.

Yes the new Ibiza will have an eco version of the 1.9tdi that will emit just shy of 120g/km of CO2. However, this will have different gear ratios in the drive for better emissions and fuel economy and as such the performance characteristics will have changed and no doubt been reduced!:confused:

Yes the new Ibiza will have an eco version of the 1.9tdi that will emit just shy of 120g/km of CO2. However, this will have different gear ratios in the drive for better emissions and fuel economy and as such the performance characteristics will have changed and no doubt been reduced!:confused:

Hmmm, will this be used in the Octavia greenline I wonder?

Is this engine not already in the Golf?

Gold blue motion? Not sure but probably.

I wonder how a standard fabia TDi would perform with those skinny tyres they put on the greenline and bluemotion?

Yes this is virtually the same as what is in the golf bluemotion and probably the same as what will be in the Octavia greenline! However, it is a shame that VAG cannot utilise similar technology to BMW who are currently offering their 2.0d comman rail unit with 175bhp that can still produce an average of 58.6mpg and keep emissions down to 128g/km co2. :eek:

Just a point with regard to mpg, what amount does the tank actually hold. I thought from the users manual it was just on 10+ gallons. However, another link autocar states 9.9 gallons. What amounts have you actually been able to get in the tank because some of the mpg figures may be flawed anyway.