Hot smell in the cabin at speed

Yet another irritating problem with my 110 tdi elegance octavia.

This only happens at speeds (ie above 70 on the private road), and can only be described as something getting red hot in the engine bay. It doesnt smell particular of anything just how things do when very very hot (if that makes sense)

Ive been underneath and checked for all the obvious signs of something touching the exhaust manifold / turbo etc etc, and nothing is out of place anywhere, nothing appears to have been stuck to the exhaust etc, and i'm at a total loss as to whats causing it.

The engine drives faultless, theres no drop off in power or anything untoward, apart from this smell.

Ive only recently had the car, the previous old boy owner was a very sedate chap, who probably never went above 60mph in all the 50k he had the car, and i initially thought it was just a build up of "crap" being burnt off, but its still there 3k later!!

Could it be a bunged up valve somewhere, ie egr valve or something to to with that side of the engine, which leaks at higher speeds, revs etc etc??

What revs are you showing at 60mph? I'd expect 2_000, or just a hair (and I do mean a hair) over.

Also, when was the cambelt changed?

About that IIRC. Its fine up till about 75mph, or when its under heavy load up hill, its as though when the turbos working hard, the smell starts??/

Did a bit of experimenting last night on my way home

With the a/c switched OFF, ie "econ" symbol showing on climatronic display, i get the hot smell.

With the a/c switched ON, ie no Econ symbol showing, the smell never materialises?

I'd have thought if it was the clutch in the a/c compressor slipping, it would have done it when the a/c was on, not off????:confused::confused:

Bit bizzare really, its just playing on my mind cos were off for a nurburgring trip in 7 weeks time, so wanna make sure its ok before we subject it to that!

Any ideas?

Matt

With a/c on, you've got full climate control which does all sorts of heating, chilling and humidity control on the air. With it off, you just get a heater, so I guess the smell is something to do with the heater matrix.

I'd agree that it's not the compressor clutch.

Hmm is the AC blowing proper cold on low. Just wondering if the A/C compressor clutch is slipping. Also worth checking out the other belts.

Not massivly ICE cold, but then again, i suspect it needs re gassing as its never been done and its 6 years old now.

If it was low on gas, would that cause the clutch to slip in the compressor?

The ac compressor clicks in and out ok when you switch it on and off.

Hmm check that the bolt there isn't loose as it's common for it to fail.

Also worth doing is getting the fault codes read, just incase a sensor isn't reporting back etc or is a bit wide of the mark.

Lots of people on here with VAG-COM that might help you out for a beer.

• 2 weeks later...

I "think" i have found the problem,

When having a proper good look round the egr valve the weekend, i noticed a bit of "something" stuck to the egr pipe, and i mean a small something!

On closer inspection, it would appear at some time, the boost solenoid, which is normally clipped into place on the black plastic boost pipe, has been left loose and has melted ever so slightly onto the egr pipe. The boost solenoid plug has a tiny tiny bit of a melted corner to it.

Anyway, i scraped this tiny bit of plastic off the egr pipe, cleaned it up with some wet n dry, and tried it, ever since its been fine!!!!!

So it seems that tiny bit of plastic was giving off a burning odour at speed, when the egr pipe was red hot???

Fingers crossed thats the last i smell of it!

Thanks for the possible suggestions anyway guys, its given me a chance to have a good check over the rest of the possibles as well.

Matt:thumbup:

• 4 months later...

Thought i'd bring this up, as the smell is back with renewed vigour!

Had the cambelt and waterpump done, along with the aux belt a few weeks ago, no issues from there, everything was how it should be, but the last few days, it absolutly stinks when going at speed.

I though i'd cured it but havent!!

I changed the rocker cover because there was oil seeping from the back edge and collecting on the exhaust manifold, so complete new Genuine OE skoda cover with gasket was fitted, Gunked off the exhaust best i could and the smells still there. If it keeps up is it worth dropping the exhaust manifold and inlet off to clean properly?

Is there a pocket of oil that i cant see or get to on the exhaust manifold?

Getting on my nerves now! Damned car!

are you sure its not an engine breather hose perished somewhere?

on the vRS there is a common problem with the cam cover breather hose splitting, and filling the cabin with a hot oily smell. try following your breather hoses around the engine bay, if you havent already.

or maybe you have some leaves stuck in your heater system. luckily the heater fan is really easy to drop out, so that's an easy check.

can't think of anything else.......