my weekend trying to buy a skoda

I've been going round this BH weekend looking at superbs and none of the car places are willing to haggle. All give the same b*ll**** about them selling at low prices = fast turnover. One salesman said he wouldn't even knock £90 off a £9000 superb on an 04 plate with 40000 miles on the clock with very obvious signs of wear and tear!

Another place said they wouldn't knock anything off - even when I said it didn't meet the specs I wanted and would have to walk away unless we could talk price. The saleman tried everything in the book - even his boss and colleagues coming over and raving about the car - but would not discuss price.

Considering there was only 2 other people in the whole place and they have well over 2,000 cars on their forecourt and we're in a recession you would think they would at least be willing to negotiate!

So here's the deals from what i've found:

An 04 Superb Comfort 1.9 TDI PD 130 with 31000 on the clock for £8000

A 54 plate superb in excellent condition with 21000 miles on the clock (classic 1.9 PD130) for £8500.

An 03 plate 1.9 elegance superb 45000 miles one owner excellent condition for £8000.

But then I found this:

A Skoda Octavia - 1.9 TDI PD Elegance on an 05 plate 40000 on the clock - excellent condition for £8000.

Seeing as how I need the cruise control (lots of motorway driving) which isn't on the classic but it has the lower mileage i'm not too sure what one of these is the better deal or will be the best economy / cost wise (i'll be doing approx 40,000 miles a year and I need the car to last me at least 4 years). The classic one is over my budget and to have the cruise fitted will cost me even more, but with such low mileage i'm just not sure what to do!

Any suggestions?

It's all down to trim levels ....but the base Superb has about the same level of trim as an Octy elegance

I know this one is OK ....but it all depends where you live

Skoda Superb 1.9 TDI PD 130 Classic 4-Dr Saloon

I wouldn't touch that one with a barge pole - thrashed within an inch of it's life :rofl:

Onlly kidding - you'd struggle to find a better used example :thumbup:

I have been talking to the owner of the edition 100 but it has 81000 miles on it and i'll be adding another 140,000 plus to it over the next 4 years.

The one you mention is over my budget - thanks for the suggestion though.

Any others??

what about the ones i've mentioned, any feedback on the best of those?

i'm not too sure what one of these is the better deal or will be the best economy / cost wise (i'll be doing approx 40,000 miles a year and I need the car to last me at least 4 years).

Any suggestions?

Have you considered a 110 Octavia (non PD)?

I always got at least 10 mpg more out of my 110 Octavia than what i can get out of my Superb 130 PD (Octavia 110 elegance was averaging 65+ mpg, compared with my Superb 130 comfort that averages just over 50 mpg - they were both on variable servicing)

Which in reality means you would save at least £175 a year (at todays pump prices) in fuel alone.

The base level Superb is fairly well equipped and only lacks a cruise control - I got the dealer to fit this as part of the deal and it works very well.

The Superb is a bigger and stronger car than the Octavia - and was exactly what I needed for towing. The downside of this is that it handles as though it has a hangover and is a cow to park - but you decide for yourself on the test drive.

Unhitched, as a motorway cruiser it's hard to beat. I really like the unrestricted legroom and I would suggest that due to its size and weight it would be safer in a crash than the Octavia. The old Superb is the lemon of the VAG fleet and you should be able to bargain hard and get one for a good price. When I bought mine as a 2 year old car, it was cheaper than an Octavia of the same age and similar spec. If you don't mind the depreciation, that might clinch the deal.

Mine has been reliable so far and I'm impressed with the fuel consumption as long as you don't thrash it. If you do thrash it, it goes quite well - in a straight line.

rotodiesel.

Why be concerned about 81K miles, this is nothing for the 1.9 diesel engine. They are bullet proof, and will trundle onto 200K+ with ease.

The edition 100 is a very special car, and if I were looking for a superb is the one to go for, and that pricepoint is perfect.

You will struggle to find a low mileage superb diesel with low mileage for a decent price, they are used by lots of taxi firms, and for good reason the bullet proof engine.

Just to chime my 2p worth

I have a VW 1.6 engine in my Felly and I've put on 30k miles in 2 years and still running fine and returning good mpg figures

at 81k miles the PD engine should be nicely "run in"

At that spec for a tad over £7k

Have a look on Ebay and you'll prob fine some TDI-PD engines with over 200k and still going strong.

I think they are too expensive given you can pick up a similar age passat for similar money.

I'd have a look at other cars if they won't budge.

Don't you think the Superb is a better car than a passat though? I know I do, you get more kit and more room, and a bit more style if you look hard enough i.e the door mouldings and colour coding etc.

Much harder to shift than a Passat when you've finished with it though.

rotodiesel.

Thats snobbery and ignorance at work, Superb offers way more than the Passat, infact it's a classic case of the pupil becoming the master.

Don't you think the Superb is a better car than a passat though? I know I do, you get more kit and more room, and a bit more style if you look hard enough i.e the door mouldings and colour coding etc.

Agreed.

You've missed the point. It's snobbery and ignorance that you're up against when you try to shift it.

rotodiesel.

Absolutely, it's one of those cars that you have to want one to get one, I had a bloke in the other week asking me if it was a Merc, granted he'd been on the beer but he was well impressed with the car.

I would argue the Superb is a fantastic car for the money and better in every way than the Passat. In terms of second hand values - I couldnt make a comment.

I dont know where the original poster has been looking for his Superb, but try ebay.

I swapped my 07 3k mile fabia vRS for a 55 reg Ed100 with 55k on it. No regrets at all. It's an absolutely beautiful place to be and it ALWAYS gets poistive cooments like 'Wow! that's not a Skoda, surely! etc etc. £7000? An absolute steal if you ask me.

This is what it'll look like if you keep it clean.

http://briskoda.net/forums/cars-sale/skoda-superb-limited-edition-sale/94460/