In-car video options

swmbo has started travelling in the back of the car with the baby and after a long trip this weekend, she's admitted she gets a bit bored compared to sitting in the front so it looks like I'll be putting some sort of entertainment setup into the back of the car for her now and the baby when he's a bit older.

I need to think about AV source and displays but I want something a little more discreet than a portable dvd player with a screen you bungee to the passenger headrest - which would be the cheap and easy solution.

What's a good car ICE site/forum to see what sort of things can be done and what sort of things have people here done?

Try Talk Audio theres a lot of information on there.If it was my car i would buy one of the Dvd headrest monitor with a built in dvd player and ir headphones.You could buy a pair so they match.Most are available in different coverings(black/tan).You only need to feed the cables through the seat and into the center consol and into the ignition switch to find a power source and a switching live.

I have an Alpine in-dash player hooked up to a pair of headrest screens all piped through the audio system. Great for long runs but my little angel even wants to watch something for a 10 minute trip to Tesco ;)

In that case you would need a glovebox DVD system and the headrest screens.

I'm desperately trying to avoid a DVD player (but I'm short of time now and this is the easiest solution) as we don't have any DVDs, just divx/mp4s :o - An ipod/archos unit could run my media but I wouldn't know where to start in sorting an external display and audio options without it all looking a little, 'Heath Robinson'.

So, anyone got a DVD system that will play divx/mp4 from a DVD or has a memory card slot to play them? With these systems, would the screens be compatible with a different source? i.e. could I buy one now and ditch the dvd player for something else at a later stage? :thumbup:Or are they fixed to their native player? :thumbdwn:

I'd spend up to £200 at this stage for a system with better functionality/future compatibility

Ahhh, in that case then don't bother. Just grab the screens, have the input either in the centre console or the seat pocket and run the screens. My headrest units take inputs from standard phonos and would allow the Archos to run a treat :)

The question is how would you mount them? Seem expensive when mine came all fitted into the HR for around the same money IIRC.

You can power them from an IGN feed under the centre console :)

The question is how would you mount them? Seem expensive when mine came all fitted into the HR for around the same money IIRC.

You can power them from an IGN feed under the centre console :)

what screens did you get? I've mostly seen ones for around £300

I have a Car Audio Direct - Alpine DVA-9861Ri iPod Full Speed - CD Player HU which is a single din dvd player with no screen as your not meant to have movies on in the front of the car anyway! and then buy a head rest with a trimmed in screen for the back, there are some very good options and some companies offer a trim that can be put over the headrest which looks standard to help hide the screen.

or if your feeling fancy do it yourself with a screen like this Car Audio Direct - Alpine TME-M780 - Mobile Video

The IVA's have the front screen disabled when you are on the move [or should I say they are supposed to be] but then I find it handy to be able to flip the screen out and set-up the new movie for her without stopping.

• 3 months later...

They look good for the money. It's kind of what I did ..... http://briskoda.net/ice-security-insurance/my-head-rest-monitor-install/108064/

However, there really isn't a lot of room in the OEM headrests:(

• 2 weeks later...