oh ho, Petrol went in Diesel vRS...

So, mum borrows the car today to go to leeds, I get a phone call at work 20 minutes later saying she has put petrol instead of Diesel in :eek:, luckily she realised before starting the car up, she had it flushed out at a local garage (£150 for half an hours work :mad:) anyway seems fine now, just wandered if theres any thing else i should do just incase?

Don't buy her a xmas present this year ;)

Sorry could not resist.

AFAIK since your good ol mum found out earlier enough and did not start it when she popped petrol in it I think it will be fine now, just as long as she is telling the truth lol.

TBH this happens all the time and a mate who has a VRS had the same thing happen to him but this time it was his son. He did start it and cost approx 3-400 quid to rectify and has had no problems since.

Hope this helps you and your poor mum :)

it should be fine now :thumbup:

my dad done that in france.....he filled the discovery up at the port.....cheaper fuel

little did he relise he 3/4 filled a diesel landrover up with petrol so what did we do.....fill the rest of the tank up with diesel and carry on, what an imbaresment starting it up on the boat to get off but it ran like shlt and put out white smoke but got us back up to scotland :rofl:

Wasn,t started up so all will be fine:thumbup:

One of my work colleagues put £30 of petrol in a 1.7 DTi Astra and started it up but didn,t get very far:rofl: it completely fooked the pump and cost the boss £1300 for a new one(Isuzu part).

thanks and she definatley* didnt start it, she realised as she put the nozzle back on the pump. Atleast she paid for it, turned out to be an expensive trip to Leeds for her lol

Good and now buy her a bunch of flowers as she must be fretting ;)

I think you've both been very lucky, she realised the mistake and was wise enough not to start it, could have been a whole lot worse.

When I first took ownership of my Vrs I used to approach petrol stations chanting in my head "diesel, diesel, diesel"

I still check the tube all the way back to the pump even now.

I did this when I first got the vRS. Only put in a few quids worth before I realised. Didn't start it. Tank drained, jobs a goodun.

I have been told that as I only put in a small amount that I could have just filled up the rest with diesel and I would have been ok but rather not risk it!!

Did I hear somewhere on here that someone puts a small amount of petrol in the tank to 'improve' running? (or did i just dream that?:confused:)

hi, unlucky to misfuel but lucky to notice and not start ;)

i seem to remember that in the past a little petrol could be added to diesel to

reduced waxing in cold weather, but i would imagine that additives take care of

this now.

here's a thought, does the vRS have a pre-ignition system ie. when you unlock the doors the fuel pump starts a bit to reduce starting time????

if so it might be worth changing the fuel filter, (if not done already).

petrol is bad news in lubrication terms for the fuel pump and injection system.

cheers matt

My Das and his Buissiness partner had E class diesels a couple yr back.

Dad's B Partner put diesel in my Dads, they didn't start it...

Trailerd to garage for draining and they DROVE! it (the garage staff) off the truck, round the corner and into the garage.

Cost allot more than it should of done becuase of that and my Dad wasn't best pleased...

Think he got the recovery for free or summit and becuase the company was paying he wasn't botherd engouth to really chase them... He was really p!55ed off for a couple days at them though.