On/off road tyres for Scout

Thanks. Agree about the tread wear numbers, it's quite handy.

I've been using the WRs mainly as a winter tyre (I have two sets of wheels). I'd imagine that your Quadtracs are better for summer use. Not that I think the WRs are especially bad but they do have a softish sidewall so high speed steering (i.e. rapid lane changes on the motorway) feels a bit vague in warmer weather. They are good in the wet/snow/ice/mud of course.

• 1 month later...

I've heard good things about Cooper tyres (as good as BFG, but cheaper), although I've never used them, and don't know if they're available in Octy sizes. They have a range of tread patterns, with different on/off road biases.

• 4 months later...
TJS, just wondering how you are getting on with the tyres, in all conditions.

PK2

Sorry for the slow response.

Have been really pleased with the tyres, and have done >12k miles now. Tread depth is still at 6.5mm, little difference in tread depth between front and rear tyres.

Haven't had any problems with launching and recovering boats, whether on shingle or concrete slipways - even through the 6 inch deep seaweed that often builds up on the beach at Warsash near Southampton.

Mostly towing a 6 metre rib on 2 wheel unbraked trailer, all-up weight approx 500kgs; occasionally tow and launch/recover a 9 metre catamaran on 4 wheel braked trailer, all up weight approx 1500kgs.

The tyres have been great for motorway and cross country use. Now the weather is getting wetter I'm enjoying great grip on wet roads and deep puddles on the lanes near where I live.

I only see the ESP light come on occasionally, sometimes coming out of roundabouts and across bumps or a big camber change.

Will buy another set of the same tyres when they need replacing, but not sure what tyre depth to change at for M&S tyres.

Tim

PK2

Will buy another set of the same tyres when they need replacing, but not sure what tyre depth to change at for M&S tyres.

Tim

As Im sure you know, the law is the same for M&S tyres so its up to you when to change.

I try and change tyres on any vehicle at around 2.5 to 3mm after watching the demo on fith gear on braking distances. I try to replace them just before a winter though so I'm getting maximum use out of the extra tread in any bad weather......... pointless driving round in snow and slush on tyres with 2mm tread on then changing them in summer when there is less standing water around?

Steve

the legal limit of 1.6mm is far too low in my opinion especially with our wet climate. On the subject of Vredestein I have been running Quatrac 3 tyres for a month now and am mightily impressed.

• 1 year later...

TJS, just wondering how you are getting on with the tyres, in all conditions.

Update on the Quatrac2 tyres on my Octavia Scout.

Have now done 21k miles with the tyres, which have 5mm tread remaining all round. They have been good on road in general commuting and motorway driving (good grip, a bit more roll because of having to go to a 16" wheel and therefore higher profile, not noisy at all). In the wet they're great, no problems with deep puddles or standing water. In snow - tested hard over the past few weeks - they are astonishing, with amazing grip.

5mm sounds like a lot of remaining tread, and is well above the legal 1.6mm minimum for replacement. However the guidance from Vredestein and other all-season tyre manufacturers is that this type of tyres should be replaced at 4mm to remain effective, so I will probably be changing these in the near future.

Quote from Vredestein website FAQ: "It goes without saying that sufficient tread on the tyres remains a precondition to drive safely through the winter. Under wintry conditions Vredestein recommends a tread depth of at least four millimetres on winter tyres."

I'm so impressed I'm going to get some similar all-season tyres for my girlfriend's Fabia estate.

Tim

I've got avon ice tourings as my winter setup. Tried them off road a couple of days ago, far better than any M+S tyre. very impressed

I was speaking to the photographer at 2009 Galloway Hills Rally. He has a 1.9tdi 4x4 Octavia. Used to run part worm gravel rally tyres on it because he goes in to the forest stages to get the best photos. They are more robust and therefore puncture resistant than normal tyres as well as better grip. He covers rallies all over uk and the motorway driving was overheating and degrading the rally tyres as they are not designed to be driven at mway speed for long periods constantly. He spoke to Khumho tyres who sponsor th Scottish Rally Championship and they sorted him out with all terrain tyres. Higher profile than his original ones to also increase ground clearance. He said the Mpg and gearing differences were barely noticeable and the wheels cleared the arches no problem even on full lock when suspension compressed.

Sorry don't know his name. Maybe he is on here?

I have used a number of different rally tyres on two wheel drive vehicles. I live off road and normally rely on 4x4 vehicles to get about. The last set were Forest Stage rally tyres wit very aggressive treads. The compounds were intermediate and several are available. Grip on and off road was superb. Off road ttey would cross even the slipperiest and greasiest of fields, in fact even on a to wheel drive car allowed it to go up a grass section that a large 4x4 shod with just road tyres to just sliver around on even with axle locks. I fitted them to a Rover 130 SDi and could accelerate with maximum force on fresh snow covered minor roads with confidence and corner quite hard also. they were good on ice but one had to give the road more respect on compressed snow with ruts. The tyres were "E" Marked for legal road use also, Exceptionally cheap, these where in remould form. I have also used grass track tyres again "E" marked and these where very good also. the only problem might be finding the correct sizes, it may need some compromise possibly.

• 3 weeks later...