Handbrake Cable Squeek.

How do folks,

When braking with footbrake and handbrake I get this high-pitched squeek on release only. I`ve had both rear wheels off to check back plate leaver arm thingy and it`s not scraping on anything. Plus holding on to said parts I don`t feel any vibration from release but can hear this noise in the centre-under-side of my Felicia. Shoes are in very good condition and master cylinders look like they`re working well.

I`m thinking it`s got to be the cable, so how do I grease or get some lubrication into the cable. Haynes manual does not have a chapter to say how to.

Any ideas please?

On most cars you have 2 handbrake cables, one each side. The (handbrake) yoke is the piece that they're both connected to at the handbrake lever end, and the pivot is a pivot in the centre of the yoke that allows for taking up differential stretching of the cables or wear of the relevant friction surfaces.

Actually Tom, you're right; if the noise is there when you use the footbrake, it's nothing to do with the handbrake mechanism, because the footbrake is hydraulically powered.

So both, did you chamfer off the leading edge of the new linings with a file when fitting them? If not, try that before you try anything else.

Thanks for your replies folks,

I`ve booked my Felicia in for it`s M.O.T. on Thursday and feel confident that it might pass....???

Just one more question i`ll put on another thread.

Cheers Circlip

:)Clean out the rear brakes and apply a small dab of copper grease to the raised parts of the backplates that the shoes ae in contact with. The squeak will be no more.

Don't overdo the copper grease though and keep it OFF the friction surfaces!

Well daverapid you know your stuff about all the letters on the rear of my car and whats stamped on the engine. It has taken me nearly a week to sort out what engine is in my car, Felicia LXi 136B, though what the PLUS means after LXi must be something to do with interia trim.

Thanks Circlip