Airbag resetting?

ShadyAl

Can anyone help me please?

I need some help regarding my airbag light on my dash.

I changed my airbag seats for non-airbag VRS seats and now because the plugs under the seats are disconnected, the airbag light is on...

I have found someone close to me with VAGCOM that is willing to have a look for me, but we are both unsure of how or what to do....

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE ME ?? :) :) :)

Thanks!

:cool:

Ok guys, I found this....

Hopefully this is what im looking for, and it might help a few of you out there...

(Please note: the following was copied n pasted from tdiclub.com forums)

It has been asked several times in this forum about disabling airbags because of aftermarket seats, so I'll post this here.

Check for local regulations before performing any deactivation/reactivation. For example, Germany requires that this must be checked by an authorized test center and entry made in the vehicle documents.

This information is shared for persons working on cars and need to temporarily disable the airbags, or others with a need to do so (e.g. frequently carrying a small child in the front passenger seat). The airbags are there for safety, I recommend that they normally be enabled.

Note: this description is based on using VAG-COM from Ross-Tech and having prior experience using it. If using anything else you will have to adapt the instructions.

1) determine if your car can do this. Use VAG-COM (or equivalent) to access the airbag controller. Look at the Component box in the upper right corner. In the middle of the string you should see 'VWx' where x is a number. This number must be 5 or higher. Anything lower requires a special resistance kit installation (1J0 998 521). An exception to this is VW3 with part number 1J0 909 609. This controller does not require the resistance connector.

2) Click on 10-Adaptation

3) Click up for the channel number to get to channel 01. This is the passenger front airbag channel. The value is 0 (zero) for 'enabled'. Click the up arrow to make it a '1'. Click 'Save' and confirm the prompt. This will disable that airbag.

For the other airbags, disabling them is a matter of choosing a different channel.

1 - passenger front

2 - driver front (steering wheel)

3 - passenger side (seat airbag)

4 - driver side

5 - passenger belt tensioner

6 - driver belt tensioner

7 - passenger head

8 - driver head

Enabling the airbag is just a matter of performing the same steps but decrementing the channel value from 1 to 0.

When an airbag is disabled, the airbag light will light on the cluster for the normal 4 seconds when you first turn the starter key to the on position, then additionally flash for 12 seconds.

PLEASE NOTE : THIS WAS COPIED FROM A POST ON TDICLUB.COM AND I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY IF ITS WRONG!!

Also, I noticed on ROSSTECH's site there is sometimes an issue with certain airbag controllers, not turning off the airbag light after airbag removals (part no : 6Q0-909-605-A)

Where is the airbag controller on an Octavia so I can check the part number??

Best bet to check the part number is to plug in VAG COM, to get it out your looking at a ot of work just to read a number off it, plus you will have to disconnect it which means you will probably need to reset a fault code anyhow.

The control unit is on top of the tunnel in front area of the middle console. To get at it you first need to remove the left footwell trim panel on the driver's side (assuming RHD) then, if necessary, cut into the carpet and sound insulation mats in the area of the unit. But given that you can quickly ascertain the part number with VAG-COM, the above route does seem pointless. If it helps, the part number for my 2002 Octavia is 1C0 909 605.

Ok, well that's good to know that you can find out the part no. of the airbag controller through VAGCOM, but whereabouts will it tell you on it?

Bearing in mind, I have NEVER used it, and will be using another member's (who by the sound of it also doesn't know!!)

:cool:

Into the ECU ?

To be really clear: ECU = Electronic Control Unit, not Engine Control Unit. There are many ECUs in your vehicle. There is only one Engine ECU unless you are running a W12!;);)