Thermostat replacement.

After nearly a week of trying to find which engine is in my Felicia LXi Plus, I now know what to look for as in parts and fixing the thermostat. :o

Hopefully fix a poorly running car (only occasionlly) and get the temp gauge to work. :(

Is it just a quick take off the old one and replace with a new whole body of the thermostat ?

Will just have time to do that tomorrow morning before M.O.T. on Thursday...:rolleyes:

Is it just a quick take off the old one and replace with a new whole body of the thermostat ?

If it's the black plastic one then yes that's pretty much it, but remember you'll need to top up coolant. It's easier to drain and flush the entire system at the same time and stick in some decent coolant like g12+ with deionised water. You'll need about 3 litres of coolant and 3 litres of deionised water if I remember correctly. When finished run engine with coolant cap off until cooling fan has cut in then turned off as this should help bleed the cooling system of any air locks.

Thanks anewman,

Yes it would be a good idea to flush the system. But the coolant is clean and does smell of anti-freeze. Would have hoped to just to bolt the thermostat on and get it through the M.O.T.

I`ll have to see how I get on with tomorrow fettling before I go to work.

Cheers Circlip

get the temp gauge to work. :(

Er... Mine didn't work either, and was fixed by replacing the temp sensor, the one next to the thermostat on a 1.3 MPi. I had no need to refill with coolant as no liquid went out.

Since then, no more hot restart problem, better idle and acceleration.

Quick fix, and a cheap one! ;)