Diagnostic Check

Morning all,

A quick query. How much would you folks pay for a standard engine management diagnostic check? I.e., checking the fault codes when you've got that damn light on your dash board.

Reason being, I've just got off the phone to Brooklyn Skoda, Redditch who want to charge me £78+vat as they claim it's an hours labour.

This is fair enough - but Autosales Skoda, Cannock only charged me £27+vat for, er, half an hours labour.

The labour rates are clearly different, which is fair enough - but the book times?

Argh!

Blue "Has anyone got Vagcom??" Fox :mad:

I would say both are right really. They are at liberty to charge whatever they think is a reasonable time.

Just a plug in and printout of the stored codes can be done inside a 30 minute slot however were the other garage offering you more?

As above though, a friendly Briskodian will save you a few ££

Thanks folks. (Especially Rotodiesel, you know I always appreciate your opinion :) )

Think I may have to have a slice of this Freedom lark, it is a worthwhile cause after all... plus I've got lots of bits to sell :thumbup:

What lights you got on the dash then buddy?

That great big "I'm going to cost lots of money" engine light. I think it's listed as "ECU/Emission system" in the handbook - and please imagine I've said this in a manly gruff voice instead of a girly one: it's the orange one with the picture of an engine on it :o

Mluton: You have PM :thumbup:

To be honest with you I wouldn't expect to pay the garage at all. It's in their interest to diagnose and quote for work,

I would expect a completely FOC assessment of the problem and then a written estimate to carry out any repair.

Tim

To be honest with you I wouldn't expect to pay the garage at all. It's in their interest to diagnose and quote for work,

I would expect a completely FOC assessment of the problem and then a written estimate to carry out any repair.

Tim

And there was me thinking that "fault lights" were being used as revenue generators (a gift from VAG to their dealer networks)! Oh maybe I'm just being a synical old ba***rd!

Tim

We used to do free diagnosis, sometimes still do if the work is carried out by us. But free diagnostic checks are a waste of time, most people bugger off and do it themselves or take it else where. We are buisnesses not charities.

We used to do free diagnosis, sometimes still do if the work is carried out by us. But free diagnostic checks are a waste of time, most people bugger off and do it themselves or take it else where. We are buisnesses not charities.

I fully agree, why should a dealer diagnose the fault FOC, for you to then fix it yourself?

What would be a good idea IMO is for the diagnostic fee to be credited off the bill for the repair.

AFAIK the dealer's diagnostic kit - VAS 5051? - doesn't come cheap, nor does the training for the operators. Perhaps someone knows the cost of the former?

Biggest factor is the dealers recovery rate.

Thats the difference between what the company pays out for everything inc staff, premises etc etc and what they take. Then profit can be worked out. At the moment its very tough. I know of dealers who take £150k a month, after paying for everything have around £15k max to bank as profit. So why waste your time eating into what little you can make by doing freebies.

So why waste your time eating into what little you can make by doing freebies.

Yeah, I agree.

Yes, I object to paying £78+vat for a diagnostic check but I don't expect it to be free.

Incidentally car's now booked in at Autosales Cannock on Thursday. Investigation work on my o/s/f window (suspect new regulator) and diagnostic check.

The diagnostic is... wait for it... £30+vat for half an hour's labour!

Brooklyn Skoda Redditch - avoid! :thumbdwn:

Alright mate, if you want to pop over tonight, Ill give you a scan, I didn't find out if my cable would work, but we can give it a try if you want.

Or tomorrow, if that's any good ?

Alright mate, if you want to pop over tonight, Ill give you a scan, I didn't find out if my cable would work, but we can give it a try if you want.

Or tomorrow, if that's any good ?

Thanks for the offer - I'm a little busy this week but if you PM me your mobile number I can give you a call next week sometime?

I fully agree, why should a dealer diagnose the fault FOC, for you to then fix it yourself?

What would be a good idea IMO is for the diagnostic fee to be credited off the bill for the repair.

And why don't dealers focus on customer relationship management? Make the customer feel welcome, cared for, respected and engender a high level of trust in you to do the work to the highest standard and a (very) high percentage of them will place the work then and there.

It works for all other businesses so why not car dealers?

Why does the average person have such a sceptical view of dealers? Are we born that way or is it a reaction to the way we're treated?

Discuss. :P

And why don't dealers focus on customer relationship management? Make the customer feel welcome, cared for, respected and engender a high level of trust in you to do the work to the highest standard and a (very) high percentage of them will place the work then and there.

It works for all other businesses so why not car dealers?

Why does the average person have such a sceptical view of dealers? Are we born that way or is it a reaction to the way we're treated?

Discuss. :P

We do focus on customer service, not sure if Skoda run the same CEM scheme as Volkswagen but all our bonuses for sales and service from Volkswagen are dependant on a good CEM score.

People have a sceptical view of dealers because on face value they are more expensive than alternatives. Plus no one likes spending money on servicing or repairing their cars so we aron the back foot to start with.

I've just had a loads of work done on mine:-

New clutch

Front brake pads

Oil Pressure Low fix

MOT

Service

All in it cost £550 from a local garage. I'm pretty sure my local Skoda dealer would have wanted more than that?!

I don't use dealers due to cost and the fact that you can't speak to the mechanic, you speak to reception. My garage knows me and I speak in depth to the mechanic and we have a good rapport. Its just nice to know that the person messing with my car actually knows about the car and you can have a conversation rather than the person on the service desk having to go and check on things, ask different people different things, ask parts for this and a mechanic for that...

My Octy emmissions light came on one saturday and got to the dealer 5 mins before the service department was due to close but they agreed to have a look. Took no more than 5mins and that included diagnosing, printing report and replacing a blown fuse. Didn't get charged for it either.