central locking fault drivers side rear passenger door

hi, be grateful for any ideas. I have a 2001 Octavia 1.9 TDI.

The central locking has stopped working on the drivers side rear passenger door.

My CL is by key not a remote. The electric window works ok both with the switch on the door and with the console on the drivers door.

Is this a mechanical fault ie motor or electrical. does anyone have any pics of the door control unit and central convenience unit and their locations.

thanks

tonnoir

:confused:

Hi, My Central locking (key operated) failed on that same door after I had the window regulators replaced. Has anyone had that door panel off the car recently? I found after they were replaced, that the window mech had caught the wiring loom, pulling it tight and cut/severed one feed wire and nearly cut through several others. I traced it by taking the interior door panel off and disconnecting the main wiring plug from the window reg. (I had already checked the window reg to door lock mech loom). You will need to access the wiring loom plug in the door hinge area. What you are looking for is a circuit/continuity test on each of the wires, to check they are not broken.

Do it for both parts of the door loom.

1. Between door hinge plug and window reg plug.

2. Between window reg plug and door lock plug.

This will show if you have any broken wires.

There have also been suggestions in other threads, regarding water in the door loom, but I've not experienced that on any other cars. But worth investigating.

The main door handle can be a pain to get off. If you damage the edges and they look unsightly, you can use an old trick of applying a heat gun (VERY, VERY GENTLY AND NOT TOO CLOSE) to the edges to make them return to their memory state (as they were formed)

If you find the fault is with the Off Side Rear Door Lock, I have one which I paid £35 plus postage from a breakers. Waste of money, as that wasn't the cause of my problem. I couldn't even work out how to get it out of the door, that's after reading a few documents. Good luck if it is the door lock.

Cheers, Peter

You say you've had the door panel off and looked at the wiring.

Have you actually tested the wires ??

It's the cheapest action you can try, before you start buying parts which may not be needed.

If you are not getting power or a signal on one of them, then your fault would be electrical.

If all the wires check out ok, then I cannot say if the fault is the motor or the door lock. When I connected my replacement door lock to the loom plug and activated the central locking there was no response, meaning the door lock was not at fault.

The salvage yard had tested the replacement they had sent to me.

Apart from swapping the window motor from another mechanism, I cannot suggest another way to test your fault, apart from having an auto electrician check it out. I don't think it's a fuse, as you say the rest of the system works in the door and I assume the other doors still function on the C/L. My windows worked ok, even with the broken wire.

There is another similar thread in this section, which has the same problem O/S/R Door: Octy 1 central locking problem

No one can suggest a fix for that either and he's done all the checks that have been suggested.

That'll be me then....having identical problem...and am contemplating acquiring another locking mechanism, as everything I have checked appears to be ok. Pulled the plug on that particular mechanism and checked it with my multimeter, and various voltages were coming down the wires when I pressed the remote, so I guess everything is ok, unless someone can tell me otherwise ???