carburetor Out Of control

i also own a LHD 1998 skoda felicia glx with jikov carburator.

in Turkey all versions of felicias were sold till 2002. (mpi, spi, carburated , with cat without cat etc.)

check out this link. a few months ago i totally dissasembled the carburator and cleaned it.

it's written in Turkish, but pictures maybe considerable.

komple Jikov karbüratör bak?m? & temizli?i

the automatic choke system is very interesting in this engines. if you did not mark the location of choke cap before taking it out it'll be an issue to adjust its location when refiting.

If you live in cold climate its possible to have serious stalling problem with wrong adjusted choke at start up, it acts like engine which is runing on 3 cylinders.

Edited by AhmetH

i also own a LHD 1998 skoda felicia glx with jikov carburator.

in Turkey all versions of felicias were sold till 2002. (mpi, spi, carburated , with cat without cat etc.)

check out this link. a few months ago i totally dissasembled the carburator and cleaned it.

it's written in Turkish, but pictures maybe considerable.

komple Jikov karbüratör bak?m? & temizli?i

the automatic choke system is very interesting in this engines. if you did not mark the location of choke cap before taking it out it'll be an issue to adjust its location when refiting.

If you live in cold climate its possible to have serious stalling problem with wrong adjusted choke at start up, it acts like engine which is runing on 3 cylinders.

do you know if i can flush all the vacuum ports with carb cleaner without damage to anything ?

i did not see the float assembly is there any way to graduate the float? also, how did you go about on cleaning the jets and after you cleaned and tune the carburetor, did you hear a heavy whistling noise ?

i recommend you to clean whole carburator with regular pump gas and compressed air.

in my opinion there is no need for extra agents like carburator cleaners or solvents.

you could able to see float assembly in the link. its shown completely disassembled in post #1 picture #1(left piece) also post #2 picture #3 #4 #5 and #7

i'm sorry i can't figure out what you mean with graduating float :o

if you want to measure the amount of fuel in the reservoir when its completely filled you can buy a 50cc injection syringe from pharmacy and connect it to fuel inlet with suitable hose and slowly begin to fill when you feel a considerable resistance probably means that reservoir is full and float cuts the way.

i only used compresed air gun for jets and done well, no need for using thin wires or needles etc.

after all i didn't hear considerable whistling noise. however during first start i have not mounted air filiter element and its cover, as you know its louder than normal condition and intake suction sound was noticable,maybe it depends on choke butterfly because it was nearly closed position and restricts air suction and caused that whistling.

Ahmet, I'd basically agree with you about cleaning a carb, but have never worked on a Jikov (I have worked on Solex and Weber twin choke compounds). I would use a carburetor cleaner if there was "varnish" from dried out petrol in the float chamber, jets or venturi, but not otherwise.

sure :)

im running my felly with LPG conversion for two years maybe it helped. because there was not so much residues it was too easy to clean it however i decided to use an old tooth brush but it doest needed at all :)

• 2 years later...
Guest masster

I know it is late, but for all people searching for "carburettor" or "carburetor" (UK or US spelling) in this forum, I would like to clarify some things.

- YES, Skoda made MANY Felicia cars WITH carburettors till 1999.

- YES, some of those have OPEN catalytic converters (no ECU)

proof ? other than tens of thousands owners of such cars (me included) see page below from Haynes, section Engine.

enginesq.jpg

Now, about the subject of this topic: the cause is very simple: a lot of rust, gum, gunk etc in automatic choke system. Nothing a thorough carburettor cleaning couldn't solve.

oh, and one other thing: the automatic choke system is a thermo-pneumatic smart device. it has a vacuum capsule and a bi-metal coil heated electric and by coolant.