Tiny specks of rust on surface of paint - how to get rid?

ventmore

...it cos it's going to get dirty anyway!

Unfortunately, it isn't just cr@p, after researching, and listening to other peoples replies, it turns out it is actually rail dust/brake dust/filings from grinding/etc (delete as appropriate). It lands on the paintwork then rusts. In then proceeds to eat through your paint from the outside. It must therefore be removed before it causes too much damage to the surface and makes it right through. I have my clay bar on order, and will be using it after the next wash.

With regards to my car, it was at the dealers this morning. They happily removed the offending rust specks, but also implied that I had picked them up myself since I got the car 1 week and 250 miles ago. I beg to differ, as they were mainly on places that were out of sight and therefore seemed to have been overlooked as the car was being prepared. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming anyone, they've removed them after all. however, I'd have preferred them to say yes, it's obviously been picked up in the compound where it was stored, instead of implying that I had picked it all up, but that they would remove them for me anyway in the name of customer service.

Anyway, all sorted now and I'm a happy man :D

Cheers

Ventmore

Ventmore, I think you're theory is correct, as the spots on mine are in a hard to reach place (so much so I doubt I could get anything in to remove them). The car came from a dealers showroom and was hence in a very high state of polish for the most part.

I've read that stuff about it eating through the paintwork and I'm not sure I believe it.

If it does start getting worse then I shall be claiming on the warranty of course!

I would guess that since they've come all the way from Prague, at least some of the journey will have been by rail.

It would be interesting to know if they happened to ship the car by rail?

I can remember years ago transporting a Renault 16 on an overnight motor rail trip from Calais to Avignon. There was a huge row at Avignon because all the cars had red rust specks on them. Apparently it was caused by rail brake dust produced by steel brake shoes contacting the steel wheels of the train. It was extremely difficult to remove and I ended up using T Cut. The SNCF people were completely uninterested. If you can prove that your car was transported by rail then its down to Skoda to sort it out.

So thats probably why more and more cars are being transported with covers and poythene/styrene sheets stuck to them. (most bmws/audis some top end vw's and other makes also)

I guess the ECO friendly lacquer takes days to cure fully unlike the old stuff if the pcb lacquer we use at work is anything to go by.

Mine was delivered straight from the factory line by starship transporter in less than 15 days :smrbow: to the dealer with expicit instruction to avoid the marinading tank otherwise known as their secure holding compound...:peepwall:

Thats why its perfick! (But for how long?) :rolleyes:

I've read that stuff about it eating through the paintwork and I'm not sure I believe it.

It's already started eating into your paintwork, thats why it's so hard to remove, it's part buried in.

The acids this stuff creates when it oxidizes destroy the binders in the paint and topcoat. And binders is what binds the paint together. without this, the paint disolves under the particles and it sinks ever deeper until it goes rith through.

And skodakid, this is a problem with the new acrylic paints they use. The old cellulose paints were far more resistant to fallout. But I don't think it has much to do with the cure time.

Car shouldnt rust anyway, the main bodywork is made from galvanised steel. I have several large stone chips down to the metal, they have discoloured but thats it. Sounds like you have parked under a tree or something and sap or some other substance has been left on the paint.

It is definitely only on the outside of the paint. Apparently it is industrial fallout. I did a search after reading that the clay bar I was ordering was good for industrial fallout. Check out this page...

http://www.clean-image.co.uk/articles/fallout.htm

I don't think I could reject the car as by all accounts it is a natural occurence. Will let the dealer polish it out on Monday' date=' and deal with it myself in the future with the clay bar.

Edited...PS mobtob...how long do Meguiars normally take to deliver.

Cheers for all your help guys

Ventmore[/quote']

Interesting that... something I never thought about :rolleyes: