Am I being stung?

I took my Fabia to the dealer last week because the window had stopped working. No clicking or anything from it so I thought it was the motor. I asked them to check that they had the regulator in stock as I had been told by a different dealer that the motor and regulator were on piece. They said they had it in stock and they could have done for me in 45 mins (great seeing as I have a 1 year old child with me). Almost 2 hours later they say its the motor which they don't have and I'll need to leave it overnight. Well I can't so they charge me £105 to take the door apart and leave it that way. My wife goes in 3 days later to wait 1 1/2 hours to be tolf they didn't order all the needed part. I now have to go in again to be charged another £170 for the motor and god knows what else to put the trrim back on!

What would be a reasonable charge to replace the motor and can I get it cheaper elsewhere?

I live in Southampton, so the **** dealer is Freeborn in case anybody is tempted to go there.

main dealers tend to scare buyers in to using them so can charge what they want, once the car is out of warrenty use a independent and not only save money but normally get a much better customer service from them too.

Cheers guys, went in today to pick up the door trim and tell them I was p!ssed off with their service. They said "oh". Couldn't even be bothered to apologise. Local independant will get any future work.

On the dealer note try meadens in sway (dealer) or Monks Auto Mechanical (indy) at the top of soton near to chandlers ford for good prices and service.

As for the dealer in question, they once suggested that a shell VW507.0 oil was incorrect for a TDI on long life service and that another oil which wasn't VW variable spec should be used instead. They got told where to go on that.

The sales is generally good and one mechanic certainly is excellent, it's just a shame their `front of house` staff don't seem to understand customer relations in my personal opinion.

I got a cracking sales deal from them for a friend though, so I really do think it's a mixed bunch, although one of them was trying to push a nearly new as a new car :eek:

On your specific incident, I'd be asking to speak to the dealer principle or another guy with some sway and ask for a reduced labour rate on the work or FOC fitting as per Ross' comment. They seem to have charged you an amount for taking the door off, then an amount to do it all again and caused you a lot of grief you didn't need.

Silverlake garage (breakers) often have the window motors from a lot of cars in stock :thumbup: