VRs suspension onto a tdi?

Hi people,

Ive just brought a tdi (110) elegance model & was wandering whether it would be possible / worthwhile to try & get hold of sum stock Vrs suspension?

The other option I am considering is the weitec spring & damper kit & then if I'm still not happy with the handling to keep an eye out for some upgraded antiroll bars (from looking under the car it looks like the front subframe would have to be removed for this so I'm not sure if this would be worth the bother?)?

any help / advice would be gr8!

Thanks

Shane:confused:

No the VRS suspension is for a petrol engine and totally different weights.

If you want uprated suspension on the octy II go look at some Eibach springs and Koni FSD along with some new/uprated rubber buses.

IIRC the elegance TDI already has a fairly thick front ARB too, so I'd also look at decent tyres.

Hi

Yes as cheesy has said , I think I am following him , but not really

The vRS suspension is completely different to yours , so cannot be swapped

The Weitec is a cracking set up , made by KW , one of the best when it comes to VAG cars

The front ARB again as already has been said will be larger for your engine , but can get larger , but if you do maybe worth checking out on rear ARB too

Sarah

Just a little advice, my 110tdi was lowered around 40mm when I bought it, and although it looks great, its a bitch over anything higher than a fag packet...

Speed bumps are a total nightmare as EVERYTHING hits the sumpguard, even dodgy surfacing and potholes can ground it.....

I would definately invest in a good quality set of springs/coilovers/shocks/whatever as I think the guy that did mine got the cheapest ones available, as my car bounces like its on rubber everytime you go over anything... (If anyone has any advice on that, I'd appreciate it..)

My Elegance estate is on standard set up as well, and I regularly ground the undertray on the speedbumps down the road I live on. That and the bottom of the front bumper on kerbs when driving into parking spaces.

I'll vote for KW Springs and Dampers. Thats what I have fitted to my tdi elegance estate. Although I do scrape the under tray quite a bit I'm aware of what I will and wont catch on and it doesn't really bother me too much anymore. I also drive up and down farm tracks to where SWMBO keeps her horse and don't have any trouble.

Why?

Drive over some potholes, it's already stiff. Go look at the underside of your bumper and underengine tray, it's already too low.

If you want handling, go upgrade the anti roll bars - particularly the rear one. To go further, Powerflex bushes & TT braces. Still with your existing springs/shocks this would handle better than a VRS.

Greg.

Hi people,

Ive just brought a tdi (110) elegance model & was wandering whether it would be possible / worthwhile to try & get hold of sum stock Vrs suspension?

The other option I am considering is the weitec spring & damper kit & then if I'm still not happy with the handling to keep an eye out for some upgraded antiroll bars (from looking under the car it looks like the front subframe would have to be removed for this so I'm not sure if this would be worth the bother?)?

any help / advice would be gr8!

Thanks

Shane:confused:

I am on standard springs on my elegance at the moment and I have never scraped the under side of my car.?

How the hell are you doing that, the clearance is so high.?

Its almost like being in a 4x4 the amount of suspension clearance I have.!

Hense im getting it lowered next pay day. YEAH.

Think im going to go for the KW's.

Everyone seems to be recommending them.

I cant really complain about the handeling either.?

The front body roll isnt bad, but I am considering getting a rear ARB.

Michael.

It is not "too high" underneath. Trust me on this; I've had mine on a proper garage lift and looked whilst looking for the cause of a funny noise. I could see the scrape marks on the tray, and I don't drive off-road.

I am on standard springs on my elegance at the moment and I have never scraped the under side of my car.?

Michael.

On standard elegance suspension i almost took my sump off on a cattle grid, so I think you'll find that isn't the case.

If you get your KW, then I'd also make sure you have £300 available for either an alloy sump guard or a new sump when it gets hit.

As for the handling, a citroen BX on the soft gas suspension would show this a clean pair of heels around the corners. It's awful and IMHO very much too soft to be anything other than a motorway car.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

You have a fabia. Not an octavia.

If you are talking about an octavia, something is wrong. You can't even get a standard 2 ton jack under a stock elegance and they are ALWAYS smashed up underneath when I see them.

Michael.

Soft? It's HARD! Have you driven a E class Merc? Or a Xantia?

It does NOT iron out potholes and there is no comparison between it and a BX which I am very familiar with, the BX will be lent right over scrubbing the tyres and squeeling at a g force where the Octavia isn't even making a tyre noise. Unless something is wrong with yours?

I DO agree that it needs more anti-roll. That's the single biggest factor in it not feeling eager to turn in.

Greg.

On standard elegance suspension i almost took my sump off on a cattle grid, so I think you'll find that isn't the case.

If you get your KW, then I'd also make sure you have £300 available for either an alloy sump guard or a new sump when it gets hit.

As for the handling, a citroen BX on the soft gas suspension would show this a clean pair of heels around the corners. It's awful and IMHO very much too soft to be anything other than a motorway car.

Soft? It's HARD! Have you driven a E class Merc? Or a Xantia?

It does NOT iron out potholes and there is no comparison between it and a BX which I am very familiar with, the BX will be lent right over scrubbing the tyres and squeeling at a g force where the Octavia isn't even making a tyre noise. Unless something is wrong with yours?

I DO agree that it needs more anti-roll. That's the single biggest factor in it not feeling eager to turn in.

Greg.

It's harder than my Xantia was, but I sort of expected that given I was going from 185/65R15s to 205/55R16s. It's also got more ultimate grip, but could do with more damping, and then maybe more anti-roll.

I hear you with the tyres. Same issue here. Well damped though, how fresh are your shocks, any chance they may have gone off a bit? I'd describe mine as taut.

It's harder than my Xantia was, but I sort of expected that given I was going from 185/65R15s to 205/55R16s. It's also got more ultimate grip, but could do with more damping, and then maybe more anti-roll.

I hear you with the tyres. Same issue here. Well damped though, how fresh are your shocks, any chance they may have gone off a bit? I'd describe mine as taut.

The billiard tables I've encountered in Notts really wouldn't expose an under-damped suspension the way the roads up here do. There are a couple of stretches where I have to lift off to give the dampers a chance.

That said, I am planning to replace them, but with something uprated from stock.

Um, after 17 years as a mechanic I wouldn't have driven it on an ice rink and then reported the suspension was taut :eek:

I drive it round the derbyshire dales, long farm track, dirt roads and way across the country including down in Somerset to think of a few places. It is plain tight. No wallowing, no underdamped. I had 4 adults in it on the weekend and it still wasn't bouncing over speed bumps and the like.

I can only speak for my own car though, I drive a fair few of them and most are similar, I wouldn't say any are under damped, but I have driven looser older ones that perhaps are a touch on the wallowy side due to age/wear.

Greg.

The billiard tables I've encountered in Notts really wouldn't expose an under-damped suspension the way the roads up here do. There are a couple of stretches where I have to lift off to give the dampers a chance.

That said, I am planning to replace them, but with something uprated from stock.

Um, after 17 years as a mechanic I wouldn't have driven it on an ice rink and then reported the suspension was taut :eek:

I drive it round the derbyshire dales, long farm track, dirt roads and way across the country including down in Somerset to think of a few places. It is plain tight. No wallowing, no underdamped. I had 4 adults in it on the weekend and it still wasn't bouncing over speed bumps and the like.

I can only speak for my own car though, I drive a fair few of them and most are similar, I wouldn't say any are under damped, but I have driven looser older ones that perhaps are a touch on the wallowy side due to age/wear.

Greg.

Ok, I've only been through the Peak District once, and that was in the Xantia.