No gear selection

Hi, while driving i suddenly lost gear selection. The gear lever moves as though it's not connected to anything but the cables are moving as is the large metal L shaped "thing" on top of the transmission. When i move this by hand it feels as though it's not attatched to anything!:confused::thumbdwn::mad: I'm hoping this isn't going to be the 2nd gearbox in 3years. Does anyone have any ideas?? Many thanks

The gear linkage used to be a load of old pony on old Mk1 & Mk2 Golfs - the bushes wear out and selecting gear was difficult, especially 1st and reverse. Take it apart change the bush and clean up and reassemble. I would assume that Octavias are built on the Golf chassis so would inherit some of Volkswagens flaws.

I have seen gearboxes on Skoda Taxi's explode, but the have been to the moon and back we are talking 400K miles and more.

Edited by Banana-Man

Hi, this is nearly exactly the same problem as last time. The car is a 2000 x reg, 108k. Both cables move ok in both directions as far as i can tell as does the linkage outside the box but it appears to be not connected in the box. 1st replacement gearbox 57k,

2nd at 108???!!!!!!!! If the life span of the gearbox is about 50k or 3years it doesn't say much for the infamous VW reliability.

Hi, i got the car back. It was the counterbalance on the selector linkage on top of the gearbox,:confused: only £23:). I'll try to post some pics and more info for people for future reference.