Reverse parking sensors

I picked up my new to me Octy 2 VRS Estate at the weekend. Sadly, not noticed until yesterday, it has had a small rear end collision with something on the back left had corner with a few creases in the bumper and a small dent in the bottom of the side panel. Bit ****ed off I didn't notice it at the time of collection from the dealers but thats life and I live 200 miles away from the dealership!!

The car has rear parking sensors fitted but the noise the warner makes is quite high pitched and not like any other warner I've heard before. Can anyone confirm this is the norm or could the rear end damage to the car have caused this problem with the sensors??

Cheers

I am not sure of the trim levels in the VRS vs the Elegance but if they are factory fit sensors like the Elegance then they should give you series of high frequency beeps which increase in frequency and volume as you get near the obstruction. The dash display should also show more and wider Bars! as you get near the obstruction.

If one of the sensors was faulty I would expect that you get no indication of obstructions on that side not a different noise - unless the noise stays the same as soon as you engage reverse and does not change as you close an obstruction

• 2 weeks later...

My wifes car was rear-ended while parked. The body shop had to remove the back bumper to do the work. When we got it back the sensors gave a continual high pitched whine. New sensors fitted, back to normal

I can tell You, parking aid system gives a high pitch tone only if the system is malfunctioning. In this case You can hear this tone once for a time while the ignition is on. It does not matter how many times You change into reverse.

If ONE of the sensors is out of work, the whole system stops!

If it works properly, It gives short, mid tone beeps, and these beeps came more and more often while You're getting closer to the object they're sensing.

If You get about 20-25 cm (10 inches) close to it, the short beeps become a continous tone. Then You should stop the car.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the rear parking system too. When I picked the car up Tuesday night when I put the car into reverse the radio screen showed the car and when reversing (once I got close to something) the beeps would kick in.

Since yesterday when I put her into reverse the display copmes up but only for about a second or less - only thing any different is I have loaded up the 6 dsic cd auto changer and been listening to CD's.

Shouold the display show all the time - or does it only kick in once you get within a certain distance of an object ?

Do you think there's anything wrong here ?

Thanks in advance all

that's weird - so sounds like somat wrong then doesn't it ? Anyone any idea what might be wrong and how to sort it ?

So weird that it's done this from one day to the next - I've gone into the radio's menu to enure PDC (or whatever it's callled) is witched on :(

OK slight update - I have noticed that the display doesn't change **but** when I take it out of reverse into neutral then the car image does display on screen for approx a second :confused::confused: any thoughts anyone ?

thanks

Hi!I've got 2 ideas:1. Check your reversing lights. Are they working? Maybe the reverse gear sensing switch is wrong and does not sense the reverse state of the gearbox.2. If that CD changer is fitted separately, not by the factory, it should be coded to the electronic system by VAS 5051 device. When I had the STREAM radio replaced in warranty, the electrician forgot to do this and I've experienced a strange thing. When I switched back to neutral from reverse, the car silhouette was still on the display and the radio stayed in low volume state like during reversing. In that case STREAM was replaced by STREAM and still, it did not work properly. They did the coding and since then everything is fine (about a year now).

Thanks for that Joe - a lot of it was way above my head(I'm a clueless numpty when it comes to cars n driving - except of course I can spot a good car when I see one - i.e. Octavia ;)) but got the ghist of some of it. The weird thing that really bugs me is that it was fine on Tuesday night when I picked it up :confused: :confused:

Well I may well print that lot out n take it with me - gonna take it back to the showroom I bought it from and see if they have any ideas (not a Skoda dealership so suspect their know how will be limited)

Thanks agin - not least coz I was begining to think I'd upset everyone :o :O ;)

• 2 weeks later...