Fabia VRS 4th Year Service = Headache

Right so my Fabia VRS June 04 reg with 39,000 miles is now due for its 4th year service including- according to what I've read on here- all filters, brake fluid

and a cambelt change, waterpump.

Here are the results of ringing around all this morning resulting in a nice headache and lots to think about :rolleyes:

Skoda Dealer #1

Quoted £233.12 for the service

Told me, after checking with a Skoda Tech that the cambelt would not need doing until 80k

Skoda Dealer #2

Quoted me £533.31 inclusive of the service and cambelt change

Said brake fluid didn't need doing but would be £40 extra

Local Independent

Had a long chat, checked the book and it said the cambelt didn't need doing until 75k, but after mentioning 4 years he said it did sound about right.

Mentioned the water pump and he said that shouldnt need doing, but the water pump pulleys would need replacing since the cambelt was being done.

Is ringing me back with a price tomorrow

Not so local independent

£245 for the service, said cambelt probably wouldnt need doing until 60k and I should check my service book.

So yeah.... :thumbdwn::confused::thumbdwn::mad::finger::eek: to poor customer service

Edited by ultra_joel88

Cambelt will need doing (as an age thing). Mine's a 53 reg and currently on 37k and I had it done last service. They said the water pump shouldn't need changing, but they can if you wish.

Yep, mine hit the 4 year mark back in April having only done 46k and I had everything done (service / cam belt/ water pump)

The most extortionate amount I was quoted by a dealer was £813 but I found a decent local Indy (deals only with VAG cars) that did it all for £453 so it's well worth phoning around.

Based on what I have read on here I thought they changed the water pump to make sure there was no danger of it seizing and snapping the belt.

the impeller comes off the shaft inside the pump , it is only changed as a precaution , due to if it occurs after the belt is done , it will cost you another belt when the pump fails

I phoned a local guy who my dad has used to do all his vans for 15 years and he quoted me around £350, knew what he talking about too soon as I suggested that the cambelt neeeded doing he said he had recieved a directive from audi stating all timing belts had to be changed at 4 years, along with the brake fluid every 2.

My '04 gets a cambelt/pulleys/waterpump etc & alternator belt later this month for about £370 from a well known tuning place not far west from Manchester. Should stop me needing to bother with that part of the car again until 2012 :)