Octys back in again

k04

Took Octy in to Skoda again Saturday just gone

After they fixed my gearbox and clutch iv now a new problem

With steering on full lock i get loud clanging noises coming from drivers side,turns out one of the coil springs have snapped:confused:

Iv no idea how this has happened coz the cars not driven as if its a Land Rover

They said it should be covered on warranty,just got to wait til Thursday when they get the part in

Has this happened to anybody else,can they just break like that? The cars just touched 47k

Seems to be quite common - they break off an inch or two from the end..... My springs are still original ones (2001) and have covered 125k - maybe I am lucky!!

yep, had it happen last year, coming back thru New Forest at night road junction suddenly appeared and under braking just happened to hit a bump/rut in the road at same time, so i knew mine had gone. well, didn't know what it was til i got it into the garage, didn't seem to affect generally driving apart from a knocking noise on full lock.

i only replaced one as well, but's that's because all i could afford at time, and it was out of warranty, happened at 55k ish and 18 months and over 10k later not had any issues with one i didn't replace.

Mine went at about 58k after hitting one of those plastic type "speed bumps" in a dark car park at about 10 mph - saw it at the last minute and was braking hard.

Get them replaced as a matching pair - the "old" one will have compressed and lost some tension from 50k miles of being used.

Mine went last year. The top coil snapped off and the spring went up over the top mounting. Had to get spring compressors on the spring to re-compress it before I could lower the spring/damper assembly out of the car. Pain in the **** to use the compressors in such a tight space but I did it.

Had to replace a rear one the year before that. It had lost less than 1 inch at the bottom [the taper bit where the spring meets the bottom plate] but the MOT tester failed it. He said it must have only just happened as the metal was still bright and thats what caught his attention....fck*** *g sods law....

IMHO the springs used on the octy are sh1te and just not upto the job. Two springs on this car and never had to replace one on any other car I've owned. The only issue I've ever had with the octy. Can't fault it otherwise.

Got car back last night

All is well,i hate it when you havnt got your car coz its in the garage or whatever

I filled her up with 99ron and took it for a well deserved spin

iv missed it:amb::bike::auto::chqflag::moped::skatebrd:

• 3 weeks later...