Cruise control retro fit to a 2.8 W reg A4 Quattro

auroan

Does anyone know if it's easy enough to retro fit cruise to a 2.8 2000 model year A4 quattro? (prays Stu or Lummox comes along)

My audi workshop manuals are on a HDD at work and I can't check straight off if the 2.8 is drive-by-wire or not.

With the engine running and the throttle pressed so it's a little above tickover press the brake, does it return to tickover? If so then it's normally a good indication of DBW.

• 1 month later...

nope no fault codes. But I think I may have missed that I may or may not need a loom. I didn't notice any empty connectors when I put the steering wheel back together, but I could be wrong.

Problem is I can only find info on Passat B5 installations and not A4 B5s. Cruise is recognised as enabled as I can see the G in the engine desc of controller 01. But when I look at location 4 of the measuring block 066 it doesn't register any of the switch functions when I test.

It's all back together now so I'm going to have to strip it down again and check I'm not missing a connector/loom.

Well I've managed to find the wiring diagram for my engine (2.8 APR) out of the 451 pages of diagrams I have.

Now I just have to figure what what the hell it means.

From looking at the diagram I think I've got it figured as to what pins match what from the cruise switch to the relavent ECU plugs. But what would wire T6y5 go to ? Is that the fused feed ? As it just goes to a box labeled 12 in the diag.

2.8 cruise switch.pdf

Look at the numbers along the bottom of the drawing, 26 to 37.

The 12 relates to the same set of numbers on a previous drawing, it's a way of mapping several drawings together.

T6Y will be the plug on the stalk.

Yes and no it is another connector in the row of ecu plugs (10-pin brown connector) It's the one where is needs splicing in rather than adding to the semi empty white connector. But it does look like its a 12v fuse feed

I realised what you meant my the numbers at the bottom and went back two pages and found it.

hummmpf. Cable arrived today, and fitted tonight (what a bugger of a job that is)

Cruise works.... but now I've either left a cable un plugged or damaged some wiring as my steering sensor is mooing in vagcom (including abs and esp lights).

So guess I'll be stripping it down again !!!!

It depends what they are mate.

I know yours is an older car but the Audi's are normally a little ahead of the other VAG stuff. With the new Octy you nearly always get a steering angle fault or similar when fitting CC. Sometimes this is easily fixed by a few yards drive in a straight line but sometimes it also requires a basic setting.

Post up your Autoscan.