clutch

If you do need a new clutch, I wouldn't bother with the silly priced standard item.

Your car has a dual mass flywheel, which smoothes out gearchanges as a plus, but is bloody expensive on the down side.

Just replace it with a single mass item if you do. See Awesome GTI Store UK - VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda Performance & Styling for some kits.

Have a little research and see what you find out mate...

Does the clutch slip (i.e: If you drive in 4th at 2000rpm and floor it, do the revs go up and the car not acelerate)?

Is getting it in gear difficult?

Does reverse gear crunch when you select it?

How stiff is the clutch pedal?

50K miles is not a long life for a clutch, but the life of it varies an awful lot depending on how you drive it.

If it has failed, and you're considering an uprated clutch and SMF, talk to soemone who has one first.

Edited by cjb

thanks mate will try that with 4th gear but the pedal is not stiff like it crunches in reverse sumtimes :thumbup:

Try this as well: Stop the car, leave the engine running, hold down the clutch, wait 5 seconds, select reverse. Does it crunch?

Or stop car, go into neutral, select first or second and then select reverse. Does it crunch now?

CJB and I have obviously had similar issues with a reverse where the gear teeth overlapped each other unless you took steps to move them apart.