Fault Code Reader

pricey7184

Hi,

Ive got an ECU light on my dashboard, had the fault diagnosed a few months ago (coolant temp sensor fault) - when car was in for a different fault - and havnt yet got round to get this sorted out.

When was last diagnosed the garaged mentioned a few other faults showing up as well so before I go and get it sorted out i'd like to double check myself again now to make sure the faults are still the same rather than paying for another diagnostic test. I know eventually I'll need to pay for the diag when the car goes in for repair anyway but I'd just like to know what sort of cost i'll be looking at and how urgent the repair is needed - judging on the fact the light has been on and off for about 9 months without causing any major problems other than a little extra in fuel consumption.

Anyway.. what im getting at, whats the best DIY handheld fault code reader to buy (assuming I dont know a great deal about auto electrics) for under about £60 and also what is the difference between one that shows 'live data' and one that doesnt?

FYI car is a SKODA Fabia Classic Estate 1.2 2003.

Cheers

I have purchased for myself and for a mate at work a code reader from eBay ( damn it I had to mention that internet site didn't I)

All I did was searched on skoda code readers,

the One I have is called Memo scanner and Auto Diagnostics Code reader.

it orks on VW and Audi (basically anything VAG group)

Ideal for giving fault codes and you are able to clear them if they are minor ones. Totally up to you though if you clear them or not but you have the abbility to.

Only cost me £16 from USA. never broke the bank at all...

Hope it helps...

The socket is located behind the little drop down pocket in the drivers foot well. it is seriously easy to use.

1. turn engine on.

2. plug in.

3. press scan.

4. read code.

5. locate fault code in manual provided.

6. press clear if you want to or unplug if not.

7. unplug unit.

can't get any easier than that...

well worth having even if you don't use it that often. (hopefully not at all)

but it can be used on so many cars (VAG group) you can lend it to friends.

I bought a handheld reader for 20-something quid, which has helped me clear what I think is a spurious fault light, but hasn't helped diagnosis. If you have a laptop, you are best buying an OBDII interface cable (serial is supposedly best if you have a serial port, but you can get USB ones) and then downloading the free version of VAG-COM from Ross-Tech. I don't have a laptop (and my wife's is barred from installing software), so it's the best I can do - although there are plenty of members with VAG-COM who will be glad to help you. I may be calling in such a favour with all the dash lights I've been getting recently... :(

Your right the readers only clear do not diagnose.

I used mine a couple of rimes now and have had the codes come up and the just got in touch with my local dealer. But I am fortunate my car is only 15months old so I can pester them as much as I like and not worry about it...

in both cases it was nothing to worry about and once Sherlodge Garage (Rainham kent) had told me all about it I cleared them and they where never seen again...

I will be going for a full remap later in the year so I think it will come in handy later on...

well worth the £20 even if only used once or twice in my opinion...

Your right the readers only clear do not diagnose.

To be fair, I don't believe VAG-COM does any more than that either. It might give a bit more detail on what the fault is that it's discovered in terms of how long it's been happening for etc, but AIUI it doesn't diagnose as such (i.e. it'll tell you there's something up with the power steering angle sensor, but not how to fix it - that's where Brisky comes in! :thumbup::D )

• 2 weeks later...

VAG-COM (VCDS) definitely does more. In the full versions, you can perform tests, you can do adaptations, basic settings, and you can look at live data. All these are tools by which a knowledgeable person using a factory repair manual can indeed diagnose and repair a problem. Thousands of shops around the world are now using VCDS to repair cars on a daily basis. To call VCDS a code reader means that you have not spent any time learning the power of the tool you own. Buying a $99 license would give you that power. If you are running the shareware version, then yes, you are limited in what you can do.

The socket is located behind the little drop down pocket in the drivers foot well. it is seriously easy to use.

1. turn engine on.

2. plug in.

3. press scan.

4. read code.

5. locate fault code in manual provided.

6. press clear if you want to or unplug if not.

7. unplug unit.

can't get any easier than that...

well worth having even if you don't use it that often. (hopefully not at all)

but it can be used on so many cars (VAG group) you can lend it to friends.

Bought one £17 from usa .