Hatchback door only opens with rear door open

Hi,

Got a 1.4TDI 16V 2006 5door model and in the past couple of months the hatchback has become awkward to open, and more recently only opens with the rear door open.

Has anyone else had this problem? or is it just a monday morning fault?? I'm wondering whether its a wiring problem...

Thanks

Craig

I know that if you open the boot with the dedicated button then only open the driver's door (assuming you have that functionality), you won't be able to get into the boot unless you open one of the doors from the inside. Although if it really is only a back door that has to be open, I have no more of a clue than you do... :confused:

I think that once you've driven the car, the boot will only open once you've opened a door, maybe even it has to be the driver's door.

Could it be that the door switches for the front doors aren't working but the back ones are? Does the interior light come on when you open the front doors?

Just been out to the car to check the door switch theory and nope its not that. It appears to only occur after the car has been driven, you stop and then need the back door open. Not sure whether its affected by the other 3 doors I'll check over the weekend. Once the boot is opened once though its works normally when you lock and re-open without the door being required.

Really rather strange.

Does sound like the boot-locking-when-you-drive-off thing, which is designed to stop baddies nicking whatever's in your boot when you're stopped at traffic lights etc. I believe it can be deactivated using VAG-COM if it's causing you that much bother... :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update. The problem has started to spread to other doors now so a quick chat with the garage and they advised that the control unit is zonked so a new one is needed, not sure what exactly as its the girlfriends car and she doesn't know the details. Anyhow, that was going to be expensive, but as the warranty has just slipped Skoda have offered to pay 70% of the fix cost, so better than a poke in the eye.

With any luck the problem will now vanish!!