VagCom cable vs OBDII

Neo_VR

Hi...

Does anyone know if a vagcom cable (either the old serial one i have or the newer USB ones) are general obdII compatible...

IE if i had OBDII diagnostics software the cable would work?

Im just looking into options for my Mazda but dont specifically want to shell out for a proper OBDII scan tool

I've used a Hex Can cable on Daihatsu, Renault and a few other makes with success. OBDII will only do emissions related engine faults, but as an added benefit to VCDS it's useful. Vehicles that should be OBDII compliant are:

2001 or later petrol vehicle sold in the European Union

2004 or newer model year diesel vehicle sold in the European Union

Ive been looking at THIS bit of software...

guess ill just have to try and see.. it says it supports the following adaptors:

Interface CablesPCMSCAN supports the following OBD-II interface adapters:

• Autotap AT1, AT2, AT3, AT123 (v2.x)
  • VIA LDV100, LDV200, LDV300, LDV123
  • Multiplex Engineering T16
  • ELM320, ELM322, ELM323 (v2.x)
  • ELM327 (all versions)
  • Any SAE-J2534 compliant OBD-II interface.

Edited by Neo_VR

The old VAG-COM and non genuine new ones are just dumb converter interfaces, they will not work with software designed for the inteligent ELM interface.

This software may work with your cable:

OBD-2 Vehicle Explorer Scan Tool Browser

However, it seems to me you have two other choices:

Buy a genuine Hex + Can Ross-Tech cable, this will do all VAG cars and OBDII including those using CAN protocol, it is likely also to be the most future proof option if you are going to need access to VAG cars as well as OBDII.

or

Buy an ELM based OBDII lead this will only provide OBDII/EOBD access.

The second option may be cheaper the first more expensive but it depends what your current and future needs are.

Edited by Chris_55

with my lead, I have had problems using it on a few Fords, so as you are in a ford group vehicle I would ask someone to try theirs on your car first before you commit to buying a vag com lead for it, just so you know if it works.

Ford and GM tend to use a different protocol which was why I posed the question above.

I used to have an Elm Based interface which worked fine, even used it on a PDA for data logging etc, there are some good tools out there.