2002 Fabia & VAGCOM (plus faults)

andycap

We have a 2002 (registered date) 2l Fabia (Elegance) Estate. When plugging in VAGCOM (genuine cable, USB version) and test, I get K1 ok, K2 ok but no CAN. Is this normal for this age car please?

The auto scan picked up the following faults...

*-----

Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: 6Q0-820-045.lbl

Part No: 6Y0 820 045

Component: Klimaanlage X0770

3 Faults Found:

00818 - Sensor for Evaporator Outlet Temperature (G263)

30-00 - Open or Short to Plus

01271 - Positioning Motor for Temperature Flap (V68)

30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

28-10 - Short to Plus - Intermittent

*----

I take it this means the AC won't work properly (if at all)?

Mods, if this is in the wrong place, please would you mind moving it? I was unsure whether it should be here or in the general diagnostic area...

Hi,

You would probably be better posting it in the Vag-Com section but if it needs to be moved am sure a mod will move it.

Fabia doesnt have CAN-BUS, it uses Dual K Line or HEX to communicate so thats ok AFAIK.

Check out this link. It takes you to the Ross-Tech Wiki where you select the code and it will give some diagnosis.

Category:Fault Codes - Ross-Tech Wiki

HTH

As said before, don't worry about the CAN as you don't have it and the K line is ok.

fault code wise, most Fabias come up with the temperature positioning flaps problem but there is normally no problems whatsoever.

The sensor for evapourator outlet temp sounds like its to do with the Air con system, do you have any problems with hot and cold air through the vents with the air con on?

Edited by DGW
Redundant quote deleted. :(

fault code wise, most Fabias come up with the temperature positioning flaps problem but there is normally no problems whatsoever.

Is that the heater motor flap(s) which can be reset with Vag-Com?

The auto scan picked up the following faults...

*-----

Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: 6Q0-820-045.lbl

Part No: 6Y0 820 045

Component: Klimaanlage X0770

3 Faults Found:

00818 - Sensor for Evaporator Outlet Temperature (G263)

30-00 - Open or Short to Plus

30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

28-10 - Short to Plus - Intermittent

*----

Interestingly, If you select 00818 in the link i gave you it mentions Check Value Measuring Blocks. I am sure this can be carried out under Vag-Com.

Thanks all, will check the VMBs when I next go out to the car. A/C didn't seem to do much on the cold setting - not having a thermometer to put against the vents I can't really say for sure whether it's taking it down to 16 degrees C or not.

So can the motor flaps be re-set with VAGCOM if that's the problem? (Still waiting for Ross-Tech to validate my e-mail addy for support).

As an aside, under the convenience unit I have the code 00258. From reading all the gen on here (information overload!), if I re-code it to 00259 I'll get one click unlocking?

Thanks again :-)

Thanks all, will check the VMBs when I next go out to the car. A/C didn't seem to do much on the cold setting - not having a thermometer to put against the vents I can't really say for sure whether it's taking it down to 16 degrees C or not.

So can the motor flaps be re-set with VAGCOM if that's the problem? (Still waiting for Ross-Tech to validate my e-mail addy for support).

As an aside, under the convenience unit I have the code 00258. From reading all the gen on here (information overload!), if I re-code it to 00259 I'll get one click unlocking?

Thanks again :-)

You will know if the air con is working or not, it should be icy cold. Put the heater on position 2, turn the temperature knob right down, turn the direction knob to the 3 o clock position, open the vents then turn on the AC. If the temp of the air doesnt change its not working.

Ckeck out VRStu site at

Fabia-vrs.com - Coding Options

for details on resetting the motorised ventilation flaps.

I would have thought 00258 was the right code for having selective unlocking.

Thanks :-) checked VRStu out before for something else, but didn't think of it for that. Cheers.

Yeah I have 2 click unlocking ATM but SWMBO wants 1 click... VRStu's site gives +1 to the soft code for all doors - thanks for the linky :)

*Off topic rant mode*

Haynes manual arrived today. Doesn't cover the 16V 2L Fabia. Of course it doesn't state that on the front cover... Dealer said ours was an 8V so I'm kind of confused

*Off topic rant mode off*

The flaps won't cure that. How old is the car and has the air con gas ever been changed, as that is normally why you will not get very cold air, as it really should be changed avery 3 years or so.

Car registered in 2002. No idea as to whether the gas has been changed. I'll check with the service agent when I next visit (he has Kerridge, I don't!)

Kerridge:thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

With refernce to the flaps i beleive that if the flaps are out of sorts( sounds terrible ) the temperature in the cabin will be hotter than its supposed to be.

Try a search for it. Am sure i read something about it recently.

As a addition the Air-Con should be used frequently (about once a week) as the gas that runs through the system also acts as a lubricant for the seals.

Was lead to believe that the A/C gas was constantly circulated or is that another urban myth?

I think the Fabia has a design in which the air con pump is always running! I am not sure if it constantly pumps gas around though. I just remeber when i worked at Mercedes, customers getting huge bills because of the components failing due to lack of use.

Again, i could be wrong. Maybe someone will come along and confirm.

*Off topic rant mode*

Haynes manual arrived today. Doesn't cover the 16V 2L Fabia. Of course it doesn't state that on the front cover... Dealer said ours was an 8V so I'm kind of confused

*Off topic rant mode off*

As far as I know the 2 litre Fabia is an 8 valve. The engine covers etc, make it look like a 16v but it isn't. It's the same engine as in the Beetle and MkIV Golf GTI I believe.

Was lead to believe that the A/C gas was constantly circulated or is that another urban myth?

I think there is a small amount passed around the system, but it's not always on. with the AC button off, it is more or less just a fan using the heater matrix, just like the non air-con models.

The compressor is always driven, there is no clutch. The loading changes internally in the compressor depending on what is required. the problem you have with the evap temp sensor will cut out the a/c, its well covered on here and there is a guide to changing it. Heater flap motors can be reset. Basic settings block 1 and let them run from stop to stop.