Plastic under engine cover falling off

tedda222

Hi,

I have Skoda Octavia 1.9sdi and the plastic cover that sits underneath the engine is falling off.

Half of it has cracked and actually come off so it is sagging in the middle and scraping across the floor.

I want to take it off but want to check it is not essential and that it won't matter if i don't have one.

Will it pass an MOT without the cover?

Thanks for reading.

Yes, I had the same problem and removed the cover. It went through an MOT without a problem. The cover reduces engine noise like Lex says and might make the car a little more aerodynamic down below.

A friend pointed out that the cover can be counter productive. If you have an oil leak above the cover, the oil will absorb into the cover rather than leaving tell tale signs in your parking spot. Not a reason to go and take the cover off, but something to be aware of.

Hi,

I have Skoda Octavia 1.9sdi and the plastic cover that sits underneath the engine is falling off.

Half of it has cracked and actually come off so it is sagging in the middle and scraping across the floor.

I want to take it off but want to check it is not essential and that it won't matter if i don't have one.

Will it pass an MOT without the cover?

Thanks for reading.

Hi tedda222,

I think that it will be good to have this in place, as it maybe protects engine sump here, from flying stones that are being picked up by the road wheels. This will stop the crack or hole in sump casings. May be you should think about getting the replacement from a scrap store.

Does any one else on the forum here, think this way?

Soviet:rolleyes::thumbup:

Edited by soviet
sp

My TDi undertray gets the comment "large untray prevents inspection from underneath" or something like that.

The bonus of keeping the undertray on is that it *might* catch the aircon clutch when it falls off :rofl: