Fabia Tyres (again, groan)

Guest Xleon

OK, so I've done the full site search and it came down to ......

Falken, Toyo or Conti that were good and I can get locally. Problem is, everyone seems to suggest a different one! I've discounted the Toyo due to it's suspect poor-weather holding (as the pattern is similar to Goodyear F1 which I ruled out for same reason).

Want decent grip in all conditions and lower road noise than my groaning Bridgestones.

So, it comes down to this simple question....

Should I get the Falken ZE912 or Continental Premium Contact?

TIA

Edited by Xleon

i had toyo's and the wet weather handling was alright?? in the dry stuck really well and werent to noisy, sorry to complicate!!

have you thought about michelin pilot's ?? had these on an old car an where fantastic in the wet, good in the dry and quiet!! but were 87 quid a corner for 16's:eek:

chris:)

Cheers.

Sorry, with the Toyo's I meant really cold conditions and ice (what with winter coming).

Looks like the Michelin are about the same price as the Conti's at my dealer (around £60-70). Damn all this vast choice in tyres :):confused:

It's not so much the pattern that makes the F1's bad in snow, but more the compound. I'm not sure how the Toyos do in snow yet, but you'll find much the same case with most high-grip summer tyres.

Hi,

I have lots of experience with different tyres, I prep cars for fast road, track and race use as a job so I get lots of time test driving with lots of different tyre brands. My choices are as follows:

1. Uniroyal rainsport. Great drya and wet weather roadholding, great ride quality due to the soft sidewall and quiet, seem to last ages as well. We use them on our track car as wet weather tyres!

2. Goodyear Eagle GSD3. as good as the uniroyal in every way but not quaite as comfortable due to the more stable tyre wall.

3. Dunlop SP Sport Maxx. Very quiet due to their almost 'non directional' design, good ride comfort and last ages, very good grip in the dry and the wet but quite pricy compared to the Uniroyals.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Thanks to all for your help and thanks for adding to my dilemma with more good choices! :)

It seems there are the good and the bad tyres which are obvious, but to narrow

it down in each group, it becomes more subjective. You'll see one with loads of glowing reviews, then a couple of really bad experiences as well.

I'll take it all on-board and see what the local dealers have available.

I have always found my F1's to be very good in the wet, however they are next to useless in the snow and cold.

The f1's on the Roomy have now done 26k and they are coming close to being replaced. I have had a good lookround and I am going to try the Falken 912's for the winter. 4 fitted for £242 from Black circles.

My OEM Michelin Pilot Primacy's were smooth and quiet enough in my view, lasted around 23k with fronts moved to back around 4k (when I bought the car) then left as is. Had a bit of life left in them too when replaced last week, but were getting a little weary down at 2-3mm.

I built up the same list, Rainsport's, F1 Eagles, Toyo's, Kuhmo's etc. and the expensive Pilot Exalto's. Decided to try the Exalto's as quality manufacturer, good all rounder tyre with positive reports. I believe you generally get what you pay for. Hopefully the investment will keep me on the road and in this life, to see the spring again after those dark December nights beating up the motorways at very close to legal limits through the horizontal icy rain:thumbup:

If your interested in the price research, see attached thread.

http://briskoda.net/fabia-i/uniroyal...raders/121927/

Photo of fitted Exalto also attached fyi.

So far after few hundred miles am happy with the expenditure, pretty quiet and smooth riding (they're new after all). I've read the Conti's can be quite noisy but have no direct experience with them.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

In the end, I went with a pair of Uniroyal Rainsport 2's. They look pretty good, were a fair price (£79 ea) and in the short distance I've done with them, seem quiet with respectable grip for a spanking new tyre. :thumbup:

Allround tire the Uniroyal Rainsports get my vote, spot on in the dry and amazing in the wet, best tires ive ever had :)

Ill second that just had four fitted to my VRS instead of original Conti SC 2s and its turned from an understeering beast to something which steers with precision

had uniroyals on my previous golf gtis this is my third set and they have been consistently good

Dont think you can have gone wrong there