urgent help with persistant maf problem

glen vrs

really hope someone can help with this problem as i am getting seriously stressed now . right had a problem with a airflowmeter which was causing the car revs to fluctuact at idle and it flagged the relevant fault code ,the car also run better when unplugged .so went out and bought a new one from skoda ,problem solved well for 4 monthes then it gradually came back and got worse ,flagging error codes and the same issues as before so i got the part replaced under warranty ,fitted another new one and surprise surprise after 2 weeksthe car is now fluctuating again ,its a 2002 octy vrs standard bar a ebay induction kit and forge d valve please can someone advise help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As the MAF is subjected to the air that is drawn in via the intake and assuming you are 100% sure the MAF is the problem you would have to assume that it's the intake/filter at fault.

The ebay CAI filter is crap imo, it does not filter out enough dust. I noticed this when i went back to the standard box and filter, the turbo intake hose which is located after the Maf had a fair amount of dust lining it.

Either get a better filter, decent panel filter or go back to oem and replace regularly.

I'd say the filter is the most likely cause. Any filter that requires oiling will cause damage to the maf over time. Washing to remove most of the oil is a good idea, however all that does is delay the problem.

its been on car for approx one and half years and wasnt oiled

Mine was on for 6 months, i never oiled mine either....dust galore :thumbdwn:

Didn't knacker MAF though but i did clean the maf on seeing the dust in the intake, car idled a lot better after