Changing Fabia vRS head unit

RiCh_vRS

Hi all, im looking to change the standard head unit on my Fabia vRS just wondered about the fascia adpater that i will need when i remove the symphony unit.

I have had a look on the net and most places sell this kind of one,

269688?$prod$

Is the Autoleads FP2000 and Connects2 CT24SK01 the same fascia adapter?

Which is the best one to buy and where from?

I am looking for one that will match the rest of the dash and not look odd.

I have also read that the one available from the dealer is only a few pounds, I take it that its not really a fascia adapter but just a horizonal plate to fill in the gap?

Also will i need an adapter for the aerial cable? Or will the one thats already in the symphony unit fit the new one?

I've seen a complete kit on ebay that has the facia adapter, old head unit removal keys, aerial adapter and ISO wiring harness adaptor, is this worth buying or do i not really need it?

Cheers

RiCh

The Skoda one is a gap filler yes but it will match the rest of the trim - some of the aftermarket ones don't. You'll also need an aerial amplifier as well and, if you need them I have both spare in the garage that I could let you have for a few quid if you want (but then they are only a couple of quid from the dealer).

However, I found that when I replaced mine with a single din unit from a Mk 1 Octavia that I got an ugly view of the top of the cubby hole underneath the radio (most aftermarket radios are flat fronted whereas the fascia is actually rounded and convex. It wasn;t much but it did bug me so I used a double din adapter for a later year Fabia. Doesn't look as OEM but gets rid of the unsightly gap.

I recently swapped out my headunit for an aftermarket Pioneer and would suggest getting the Skoda adapter which is just a "gap filler" for the top, but works well and is all you'll need. I've heard that aftermarket fascia adapter doesn't fit so well and is not a great match unlike the Skoda one.

I too had the problem with the ugly view of the cubby hole Skomaz mentioned, but found I could simply wrap some black electrical tape over the top of the cubby hole and now you can't even notice it (I was quite pleased with myself sorting that one out, ha-ha).

You will probably need an aerial adapter but that may depend on the brand of headunit as I know there are two types of connectors. I needed the adapter AND the aerial booster, and would definitely recommend picking up the booster. I first tried the radio without a booster and the reception was pretty poor, while with the booster in place it works ace. You just need to hook up the blue "powered aerial" to the spare wire of the booster and it works a treat.

And you should let us know where you are located, and maybe someone will lend you the removal keys and help out with any questions if you happen to be close by. I bought Kenwood keys on ebay which work perfectly.

And I wouldn't bother buying that entire kit as the wiring loom may not be necessary. I thought about buying one from Halfords for ease of use, but my Pioneer came with all the swappable clips needed to do the yellow/red wire switch so it really wasn't necessary. And when you find out how little room there is behind the stereo, you'll be glad of having as little wiring/loom adapters back there as possible!

Good luck with the install.

I too had the problem with the ugly view of the cubby hole Skomaz mentioned, but found I could simply wrap some black electrical tape over the top of the cubby hole and now you can't even notice it (I was quite pleased with myself sorting that one out, ha-ha).

Yeah I thought of that and did try it but it eventually moved or came undone and started showing again which prompted the change to the double din adapter

Yeah I thought of that and did try it but it eventually moved or came undone and started showing again which prompted the change to the double din adapter

Yeah, mine is still holding strong, but it's only been about a month so may still come undone. Then again everything is so tight in there, it may never move. I've seen a few nice examples with the drawer in place of the cubby hole, so may opt for this idea if my tape ever unravels. Not sure what a "double din adapter" is, so will go and do a search to find out. I'm guessing it allows you to put your single din HU in a double din space and you lose the cubby hole space completely? Whatever works, but I need something to hold my iPod in as I like to use the iPod controls vs. sticking it in the glove box and controlling it from the HU. :)

I have a pioneer in my Fabia now and I had a nightmare getting it to sit flush. There is such a nest of wires coming out the back of it that it would still stick out about a cm from the dash. I eventually gave in & cut out the plastic cross at the back to allow the wires more room and it clicked in nicely!

I have a pioneer in my Fabia now and I had a nightmare getting it to sit flush. There is such a nest of wires coming out the back of it that it would still stick out about a cm from the dash. I eventually gave in & cut out the plastic cross at the back to allow the wires more room and it clicked in nicely!

It's definitely a tight fit with all the wires at the back, but I managed to squeeze mine in without having to cut out the plastic (thankfully) and I think my wires are OK. I had a bigger problem fitting the HU cage into the space where the head unit is supposed to fit, as it seemed to be narrower than the cage itself and as I said to the missus when I finally got it sorted that it actually did involve some blood and sweat, but thankfully no tears. Cut my hand up squeezing in the cage (learned my lesson and finally put on some leather gloves) but finally got it in. I thought I was going to have to resort to chiseling away some of the plastic from the inner walls of the stereo space, but got there in the end with no cutting required.

That's why I went out and bought the signal booster mid-install, cuz I knew once the head unit was in, there was no way I planned on removing it again until I either sold it or upgraded. And here I'd heard the majority of horror stories came from the actual removal of the factory unit, so when mine popped right out after insertion of the Kenwood keys, I thought the rest would be a doddle. Not the case, but well worth the effort.

Cheers for all the replies and info.

I stay near Edinburgh, and also travel in to Glasgow everyday. Quite far from most of you i know, but if their is anyone nearby who would be willing to help then please give me a shout.

It would be handy just to borrow the removal keys rather than buying only to use them for a few minutes. If not then i might pop down to Halfords or somewhere and get them from there.

• 1 month later...