Ford KA any thoughts

Stuart_J

I have been researching a seriously cheap runner for someone for some time, Its got to be cheap to buy & cheap to run. Longest journey is likely to be about 20 miles

I hadnt even thought of the KA but I was loaned one for a couple of days over the weekend whilst the Octy was having the bodywork tidied up & it wasnt really that bad, Quite comfortable to drive, seemed to use virtually no fuel & also being the smaller engine was cheaper on tax. (Also the Air Con was so much better than the Octy)

Anyone else any experience of them or any comments apart from the usual, its a ford, Its Ugly, Its a girls car etc.

I have looked at fabias but these are so much cheaper second hand

I had a metallic black Ka3 with all the toys for 18 months and was pretty pleased with it.

Very comfy for me and I'm 6'1 although bog all rear legroom with the seats right back.

Decent build quality. It felt very solidly put together and a big step up from a slaxo or similar small car.

The handling was excellent. Really good fun to chuck it round corners.

The only downside is the engine. Its quite an old design and felt a bit dated. It was nippy enough when thrashed if a bit noisy , but wasn't all that great on fuel. I was only getting 35mpg round town (close to 45 at 75mph) which was a little disappointing.

Still insurance was dirt cheap , servicing was also lo cost , and the tax was nice and low too.

Well worth a look as there are hordes of them available from nice low prices.

Go for a Ka3 to get aircon , alloys and leccy windows , or a relatively new Ka Collection for the same spec without the alloys.

Hi Stuart,

My wife has had a Ka since 1999, T reg. We bought it new after a test drive and were very impressed with how much fun it was for the money, but I'd think very carefully before you buy one. It's been an absolute nightmare!

In 1999 they only came with a one year warranty, no problems in the first year, but at 14 months the passenger footwell starts to fill with water when it rains. Cars 2 months out of warranty and the dealer and ford customer care won't have any of it. I've since cured it myself by resealing the heater air intake.

At 20 months the original exhaust rots through and drags on the road. Dealer and ford don't want to help.

A reasonably trouble free run upto 30 months until the front suspension starts to creak. All 4 front wishbone bushes have delaminated, needing both front wishbones to be replaced. This is a very common problem throughout the entire ford range. At this point I also notice rust starting along the entire length of both sill seams.

At 5 years both front springs snap due to rust on the lower coils on the spring cup. This was bad enough, but it caused the spring to jump it's lower mount and cut into the tyre below. I dread to think what might have happened if we were doing 70 at the time. Yes the car was out of warranty, but I thought springs should last longer than 5 years. Once again I contacted Ford customer care and they weren't even interested in how potentially dangerous this situation was.

This weekend was the "iceing on the cake". Just under the fuel filler cap a small rust bubble has appeared. I removed the filler flap assembly, thinking it would just be a quick rub-down and repaint, but further investigation leaves a hole 10mm x 50mm that needed filling (welding really, for a proper repair)

This car is ony 5.5 years old and terminal rot has set in. Rot is a common problem, you only need to go onto the Ka owners forums. Yes the car is still great to drive, but I can only guess what it would cost to keep on the road, had I not been able to make all the repairs myself.

I would forget it Stuart and go for something like a P reg Nissan Micra. They may look a bit "girly", but they go really well, never breakdown, are cheap and have really low running costs.

P.s. Sorry it's a long reply, but I'd hate anybody to go through the cr@p we've been through with our beloved Ka.

A freind of mine had one and damaged the body work and because it is nearly all one piece it cost a fortune to fix.

Then she ran over a car battery and that destroyed the sump.

I drove it a few times and have to say I was pleasently surprised.

A freind of mine had one and damaged the body work and because it is nearly all one piece it cost a fortune to fix.

And for that reason they are written off with not a lot wrong with them so if you dont mind the stigma of owning a repaired write off they make an ideal cheap runner.

Horrible, horrible car and didn't like the driving position at all - had the pleasure of driving one as a courtesy car a few years back and found it underpowered (1.3i), steering too light and very thirsty.

Everyone else seems to like them though :)

Chris

My mate currently owns a 18 month old Mondeo ST220.. which has bad rust

on all four doors.. As he lives in Sweden he is in the process of rejecting

it and will be getting a brand new car.. I don't think he'll have to shell out any cash...

The Focus hire car I had when my Octy was getting repaired, that conked out after only a week and 500miles old...

Fords are making big inroads on driveability etc.. but the reliability is still

hit and miss...

Having said that the SWMBO N plate Mondeo has been reliable and uses virtually no oil...

cheers

Dazz

One of my old mates had one. Apparently it handled ok, but the engine is rough, unrefined and gutless, it feels like you are sitting in a cheap tin can, horrible interior. Not only that, but for a bloke, I think its a ridiculous looking car to be seen in.

Not that I am trying to put anyone off :rofl:

If you like driving it, it's reasonably priced, and in good nick, then there's no reason not to go for it. I've never had a real problem with Ford cars.

Ford dealers, on the other hand, make Vauxhall look good!

Phil

One of my old mates had one. Apparently it handled ok' date=' but the engine is rough, unrefined and gutless, it feels like you are sitting in a cheap tin can, horrible interior. Not only that, but for a bloke, I think its a ridiculous looking car to be seen in.

Not that I am trying to put anyone off :rofl:[/quote']

Agreed but this is a cost driven exercise. The one I had at the weekend wasnt that bad for what it was.

Have you thought about a 2nd hand Smart. ?

Provided you dont mind a lefty , only want 2 seats, these are an excellent runaround.

My wife runs 1 just too and from work, approx 5 miles a day.

Agreed but this is a cost driven exercise.

If cost is the main factor, the Daewoo Matiz is cheaper to buy and depreciates more than the Ka.

It won't be that much worse than the Ka, and if you get the 800cc engine it should prove frugal around town.

Rob.

Can't comment on the longevity of a Ka - but a hoot to drive - at least you would be smiling after end of your journey (self destructing sumps and sudden timworm attacks notwithstanding) And can be serviced by anyone, anywhere, even a passing bedouin tribe in the desert.

OR, if you are feeling really mean, how about something like a J reg Polo? Carbs were a bit iffy (change it for a Weber) but bodies generally don't rot that badly - if at all - and the handling can be, er, entertaining especially in the wet. No toys mind, so be back to winding the windows but much less to go wrong.

Cheap to buy and insure and they run on fumes. Trouble is, they are getting on and good ones are probably getting thin on the ground. There aren't many 20 year old cars out there of that type that last so well, however. Don't worry too much about one that's been to the moon and back - they handle the big mileages well but the usual servicing caveats apply.