When a bought my 1.9tdi 2001 fabia it only came with 1 key. No probs so far but what if i lose it. I bought a key 3 button key fob from ebay. Went to a local key shop to cut blade but they couldn't program it.

Took to dealer today and they also couldn't program it and charged me for 1/2 hour labour and they said it had the wrong chip! They said they,ll charge bout £200 all-in for a new one.

Any ideas for cheaper alternative?

Or i could hope that i dont lose my current one!!!

Thanks.

I don't think it's £200 for a new one. You only need the part with the chip in it which isn't £200 more like £50 or £60 Max. You'll have to pay another half hour labour though.

You can get the part with the buttons working by following the guide on my website.

There is a link on this site or the Seat one to someone that sells immobiliser chips - for less than £10 delivered. I "believe" that the VAG recoding software excludes a previously "used" key chip on security grounds I would imagine. I'll post it up later as I've saved it as a favourite (at work at the moment).

I bought a fob from ebay for my Audi. It came with a new blade and clean immo chip. It's correct that the blade part of the fob (if you havn't tried, the fob will seperate in the middle) cannot be re-programmed when it's already ben matched to a car.

A lot of people on ebay will sell keys from cars that have been scrapped and don't know about changing the immo chip as well as the blade. I got mine from someone I used before in Bradford who seems to know what they're doing;

eBay Seller: ejaz0786: Cars, Parts Vehicles items on eBay.co.uk

Try these guys for a new immo chip;

Transponders

thank guys. basically skoda want me to get the WHOLE key from them. they said flip part was £55 +vat. i didn't bother askin them how much button part was. labour 69.50 +vat.

but from what u guys hav said i'll probly get the flip part and join to the other part from one i already have. ive already have got the buttons to work.

also, as my car is remapped, would that cause any probs in makin new key?

thanks.