bank account query

seano47

hi guys just opened a new bank account had my wages paid in and recieved my new bank card today but when i went to pay for something over internet it said declined now am wondering is this because i havn't recieved my pin code yet so maybe the card isnt active yet

can anyone enlighten me

Cheers Sean

You might need to activate the card, but there's usually a sticker giving you a number to call covering about half the front of the card if that's the case.

Also, if you've not got the PIN in about a week after the card, call the number on the card anyway, and ask them to send a new PIN advice, and alert them to the old one being "lost in the post".

It's not a "funds not cleared issue" because wages are cleared when received (I remember this from temping and being paid by cheque).

I guess that the best thing would be to ring your bank or go in and ask them. As Ken said, maybe you have to activate it or otherwise find out why it's being rejected.

If your wages are paid into your account directly by credit transfer, they should be "good to go" straight away. If paid in by cheque from your employer, the money will take 5 working days before the funds can be released (money clears for interest after three days).

For what it's worth, you'll never need your pin code to buy over the Internet (nor should you ever disclose it). I personally can't see how your not having received your pin code would affect your card but only your bank could tell you if that might the cause of a delay.

Regards

Mo

If at all possible I wouldn't use current account card online. Only credit card.

If a fraud happens, you might lose your money in current account, and take ages to get it back (if at all). If on credit card you have more security, and still have cash in the bank

If at all possible I wouldn't use current account card online. Only credit card.

If a fraud happens, you might lose your money in current account, and take ages to get it back (if at all). If on credit card you have more security, and still have cash in the bank

I'd agree with that advice, only if possible try to treat your credit card like a debit card and pay it off immediately at the end of each month :)

If your wages are paid into your account directly by credit transfer, they should be "good to go" straight away. If paid in by cheque from your employer, the money will take 5 working days before the funds can be released (money clears for interest after three days).

Regards

Mo

As per #2, I was able to draw funds immediately against a wages cheque (but I needed the payslip as proof that it was a wages cheque).