Engine Management - Advice Needed

Morning folks,

not the best start to a monday morning but my engine management light came on this morning.

Ive had it into the garage 3 times for this fault, the first time having a diagnostics which said my emissions were too high. Being told by that dealer that my piston rings were shot (didnt believe them), I took the car elsewhere. I have since had a full oil replacement, injectors/cylinders flushed and, new air and oil filters taking the emissions below those expected to pass an MOT. The light has since been on and off twice in this time, and again this morning. What would peoples guesses be - lambda sensor?

Its a 2000 1.4 16V Comfort, 98000 miles.

Can anyone recommend a cheap and reliable garage in the Glasgow/East Kilbride area?

I really hope you can offer me advice, Im a bit worried.

Mines a 1.4 16v W, and well got Management light on, since i work for RAC i got it plugged into comp and it was down as a EGR, so i blocked it and well, :D im not bothered now, no problems :thumbup: been running it for a year with the light on :rofl::eek:

Thanks gents, appreciate the feedback. Whats an EGR fault?

Infrequently, for unknown reasons, on tickover, the revs can bounce but if I dump the throttle a bit, it stops. That what you get?

I dont know what the exact error code was but the guy in Skoda said it was emissions. (Ive had my fuel mixture adjusted also). I dont want to go back to Skoda cos its £65 just for a diagnostics, but dont know anywhere local.

I just dont know whether to ignore it or not......

Proper (liscensed) versions of VAG-COM are more useful - you are buying the shareware (old) version - but that might be all you want at the moment. Restting the light will not help as if the faults are still there it will come on again soon, as others have said, use search.

Having trouble with the dreaded EM Light too - Came on a couple of weeks ago - local mechanic ran it through the VAG - COM and it showed nothing. He found a hole in the exhaust and put it down to that (£240 all in). Same day. light came back on - ran it through the test again - this time it showed as the EGR valve - since been replaced (£135 all in) light came back on driving back from the garage. Starting to get a pit f****d off! Booked in for ANOTHER test next week. He is a trustworthy guy and I've been going to him for years. His thoughts are that the EM lights in modern cars are a pain in the **** and you should judge by how the car is running etc.

Get nervous just ignoring the light though.....any thoughts as to what else it could be???????

Have you had your emission levels checked? Just as they would for an MOT?

When I had air/oil filters changed and injectors flushed, that put the light off for a couple of months and the emissions dropped a long way. They might work for you but I think mine could be related to what yours has had done.

Having trouble with the dreaded EM Light too - Came on a couple of weeks ago - local mechanic ran it through the VAG - COM and it showed nothing. He found a hole in the exhaust and put it down to that (£240 all in). Same day. light came back on - ran it through the test again - this time it showed as the EGR valve - since been replaced (£135 all in) light came back on driving back from the garage. Starting to get a pit f****d off! Booked in for ANOTHER test next week. He is a trustworthy guy and I've been going to him for years. His thoughts are that the EM lights in modern cars are a pain in the **** and you should judge by how the car is running etc.

Get nervous just ignoring the light though.....any thoughts as to what else it could be???????

have you tried cleaning out the egr pipe? another common problem