Buying new bumper plastic inserts Mk1 VRS

Awol

Hi everyone,

i'm looking at replacing the bump strips on my mk1 VRS just because they look tired and have tried all sorts, including ground nut oil, boot polish, all sorts of gels, and cant get them to stay black. and i just think if i thinkabout spending 20 quid on some black wow, can I buy new trim for 20 quid?

has anyone ever painted it satin black? i do like it black and think it woudl look funny colour coded red with mudflaps still black?

The Black wow really works.

My mates Golf GTi spoilers were almost white :eek:

A month on and their still black as 3 o`clock in the morning :cool:

At the end of the day,if you get new ones their still going to gray out anyway.

Black wow is a very highly rated back to black type product, but its 20 quid a bottle from memory! although you do only need a small amount apparently!

I'm only thinking 20 quid bottle of product, last say 12 months? hopefully new parts if used with cheaper product to protect them would last few years? or possibly even paint before i put on. might have a look at some satin black spray can.

Allan

from what i've read side bump strips never come off right anyway?

i've painted interior plastics before and alwys bent a bit pushing back together ok.

I am definately keen to either paint all satin black or remove sides and paint front and rear red to match at the moment.

Allan

I have tried some morrisons ground nut oil from what i read similiar to peanut butter. .

I havent tried heating them up actually, I did read that guide on DW, might have a go at that!

can you buy the colour coded ones direct from skoda? assuming that it was an option on some other model of octavia.

My front and side bumper strips are fine, but the rear bumper one goes grey after about a week from me treating it. Tis a pain in the harris indeed.

what! that's pretty awesome!

how hot was this heat gun? hothot or just warmhot?!

guess it just melts the immediate surface of the strips.....

would you say it's safer to pop off the trims first? as it's so easy

Bodge, i did this a while ago also. I just set the heat gun to its middle setting (this one had 3) and then went to work. Comes out really well, right in front of you :)

Lasts for about 6 months (so far...)

I just did it on the car. Quite save, just keep the gun moving gently :)

Garry