Custom remap or generic chip?

Does anyone have any experience on what the best option is for increasing the performance of a 1.9TDi Octavia when pulling a caravan?

I was considering forking out for a custom map at Star, but SWMBO has been going on about the plug-in generic modules being the best value-for-money option, as she has seen some local outfit selling them for 80 quid fitted. This seems a little on the cheap side to me, although as far as I can find out, all these do is increase the fuel flow.

All I really want is to get rid of the "I know I can" feeling when dragging the 'van uphill TBH. Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.

The "best option" is to stop impersonating a snail!! ;)

SWMBO is almost certainly wrong about a £80 module; it sounds like an expensive version of the Fleabay resistor mod (use the search for more on that). That said a Dragon or Tuneit interceptor box has its points, not least transferabilty.

If you're not contemplating further engine tuning, a custom map is probably not right for you; ask about generic maps.

Oh and where are you? Star aren't the only tuner in Scotland.

If anyone pays £80 for a part you can get for less than 10p from maplins in a plastic box they must also take into account premature engine failure, the cel coming on and other consequences.

You can get a dragon tuning box, but these can be as expensive as a generic remap. Towing a caravan may mean you want the peak power at a different point in the power band to normal and to get that you need a custom map.

The "best option" is to stop impersonating a snail!! ;)

:P

SWMBO is almost certainly wrong about a £80 module; it sounds like an expensive version of the Fleabay resistor mod (use the search for more on that). That said a Dragon or Tuneit interceptor box has its points, not least transferabilty.

If you're not contemplating further engine tuning, a custom map is probably not right for you; ask about generic maps.

Oh and where are you? Star aren't the only tuner in Scotland.

Only reason I've been looking at Star is that they're ~1.5 miles from me. As for the resistor mod, I've been an EE for ~10 years, and mentioned this, but SWMBO always knows better! :rolleyes:

1) You try living in a Grockle-heavy area, and you'll get fed up of caravans (and motorhomes too) pretty quick.

2) Which was partly why I asked. You do live in Dunfermline, but you'd have felt a right plank going over there from Clydebank for a generic, when you could have had one done just down the road from you.

3) Now you can say that you've found any number of other "informed opinions" that agree with you about the resistor mod!