MIL/EML EGR fault - new piston rings Not needed to fix mine

kevinw4

There is lots posted about this issue, but much of it is scattered and if you're a newbie like me then you aren't even sure what you are looking for, so I thought I'd add my few pennyworth and share our experience in the hope it might help someone else.

We had this issue on my Son's 1.4 16V Comfort. 2001 model with 70,000 miles. Same as everyone else, numerous trips to dealers, light reset, EGR cleaned/changed etc. but always came back on within a few days. Finally the dreaded ".... needs new Piston rings, too much oil passing..." dealer finale (not economic to repair).

Not I guess that may be the case on some cars as seems a known issue, but a few old fashioned tests meant I was not convinced about ours so I did lots of research, found a few ideas, dusted off me old overalls & got stuck in.

Result - been running couple of months now & just passed MOT with emissions less than ever before!. - oh, & it runs better than ever also.

I am not an expert and may be entirely wrong, however I think that there may be a few points that many miss. the main things we did were...

• Make sure all electrical issues sorted
  • Strip & clean all the EGR system - specially the actual inlet pipe within the throttle body
  • Strip/ clean/replace all the engine crankcase breather system - know issues with condensation sludge & if oil separator/breather gets gunged gives excess pressure causing some oil blow by
  • re-initialise the ECU (bit brave & I take no responsibility)
  • Recommission system completely with VAGCOM as per Skoda instructs for new
    • throttle body alignment
    • EGR valve adaptation
    • each and every one of the EGR components test and calibration routines.
    • Systematically work through & replace any if faulty until you get all those magic readiness tests passed Ok

If anyone is interested I could post more details

Haven't one of these cars, but the crankcase breather system comment rings a bell. Years ago I had a Vauxhall (frig) Viva. Burned lots of oil and garage said replace engine. Eventually worked out that the inside of the breather pipe had separated and blocked it. Looked OK outside. New pipe as good as new engine.

Yes all of the above is the correct thing to do including resetting all the rediness codes.

However if the inlet system is contaminated with oil causing issues with sensors and the EGR system then the problem will return at some point. The heart of the issue are some poorly designed piston rings that cause excess crankcase pressure.

I have carried out the repairs as you said quite rightly in the first post on a friends car, but I also fitted an oil catch tank to the crankcase breather circuit, so none of the oil goes back into the inlet manifold. Its been like that for the best part of 3 years with no further issues.

With referance to the VX Viva having these problems, well back in them "good old days" emissions were not an issue, an old uncle used to have a catch tank to his HA or HB Viva for the sole purpose of capturing the oil for loading back into the sump at a later point in the day - probably after replacing some more pressed steel rockers that had broken (he always carried spares) - it seems that was what picnic breaks where for!!

Hi mate, I dont know if you have read my post 'Engine Management - Advice Needed' but it sounds VERY familiar! Mine is the exact same model but 2000 with 98k on the clock. The light has been doing my head in.....

I am a million miles from being a mechanic but how easy is this stuff to do? Whats needed to do it? How long does it take? Im due an MOT in Jan.

Re: "....how easy is this stuff to do..."

Bit like asking how easy is it to bake a cake when we don't know how good a cook you are!

All I can say is that there is nothing really complicated about the mechanical physical bits; - its basically undoing lots of nuts and bolts to remove things, cleaning them & then putting them back - in some cases with new gaskets and such. ... BUT... some of these are

very awkward to get at and you will need a good selection of hex bits, extensions, small rachets etc. to get into some of the small spaces.

Some are easier from underneath so you will need a lift or ramps/axle stands.

You will also need relevant gaskets, carb cleaner, degreasers, small bottle brushes and similar plus plenty of rags, elbow grease, hours of patience and some spare knuckles for those you will skin off !

For the elctronic management part you must have (or get access to) full licensed VAGCOM to be able to do the necessary, together with the right routine codes to suit you car makeup; - you can find most of these by serching these forums and various websites such as Ross-Tech etc. Or if you are very lucky a good indie will have the proper Skoda manuals

with all such info.

Good luck.!:thumbup: