Front Pad life?

When I started up the motor this morning, I got a maxidot warning "check brake pads" - now being wide awake and fully alert at 6.20 I was quickly able to deduce that this was a little prompt to change the front pads.

2 questions - with a maxidot does the dash light (the handbrake-on one) light up as well, with low pad level - cos mine hasn't - and does the multi dot warning only appear at the time the engine is started - cos mine does?

and - more importantly - if the sensors on one or both wheels have decided it's time for new pads, how long have I got before the integrity of the disc and safety is compromised - assuming, of course, basic tootling round town, avoiding unnecessary use of the centre pedal and definitely no high speed motorway stops?

Oh, one more question - now that Horner's in Manchester have bit the dust (they won't be missed) anyone recommend a good VW independent in south manchester area, who knows their way round Passat/Superb niggles?

cheers guys:thumbup:

edit: maxidot/multi dot - must still be too early for me:O

I suppose it depends where you are in south Manchester/Cheshire really... but I used to love in Northwich and although I didn't have a Superb then there's a couple of decent garages around there.

As for the problems... it could of course just be a faulty sensor, it's not that uncommon. Have you actually looked at the amount of "meat" left on the pads?

EDIT: I think I've answered my own question having seen time time of your post... :rolleyes:

Pads have loads of meat when the warning comes on, so its not urgent. Use your brakes as normal.

Yes the warning only comes on when starting the car.

Any garage should be able to do a pad swap, its just a simple pad swap, nothing special.

I'd recommend some performance pads though, its easy to get the standard ones to fade. DS2500s or Mintex Extremes would get my vote, although I've also heard good things about EBC Yellows.

The sensor is only on 1 wheel, but as long as you do not drive like crazy you should make it to the workshop replacing pads :)

I also second uprated pads, currently using EBC greens. But I'd also change brake fluid to DOT5.1 then as I managed to boil mine when using uprated pads. Dot 5.1 is mixable with DOT4, so nothing else than a generous brake and clutch bleed is required (I used 1.5l total). Do not confuse and do not mix with DOT5 (sillicone) fluid.

By the way, does anyone know about the pads with higher cold friction coefficient than 0.55 (EBC green ones are 0.55)? Most uprated pads offer great resistance to fading when very hot, but very few actually offer stronger braking when cold/lightly warm. That's why I am sticking with EBC Greens for now, since the other pads I know are not as good from cold, not better than factory pads anyway.

By the way, does anyone know about the pads with higher cold friction coefficient than 0.55 (EBC green ones are 0.55)? Most uprated pads offer great resistance to fading when very hot, but very few actually offer stronger braking when cold/lightly warm. That's why I am sticking with EBC Greens for now, since the other pads I know are not as good from cold, not better than factory pads anyway.

Yeah, this is why I've always plumped for EBC Green's.

That said there was a fiery debate on another thread about brake pads, not so long ago...

Any potential issues with fitting uprated pads only on the front?

Do they tend to wear any quicker - or slower - than standard-fit pads?

Am I looking for Passat pads - or is there a difference?

By the way, what sort of mileage do you guys get from front pads?

cheers :thumbup:

If you hold the bottom of the rocker switch on the right hand stalk in for a few seconds, the maxi dot display will change from radio display / mpg / external temp. To Trip Computer / Navigation / Car Status / Display Off. Use the rocker to go down to car status, which if there is a problem or 'issue' with the car, the words Car Status will be flashing, select that by leaving the highlighted bar on it, then the display will tell you.

Any potential issues with fitting uprated pads only on the front?

Do they tend to wear any quicker - or slower - than standard-fit pads?

Am I looking for Passat pads - or is there a difference?

By the way, what sort of mileage do you guys get from front pads?

cheers :thumbup:

As mine was used as a taxi I had mine changed every 20k on the front and 40k for the rears