Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

Royston

I quite fancy one of these as my next phone. It's got mostly everything that the N95 has, except the camera isn't as good. The things I use most on the N95 are all there though, camera, video, GPS, WiFi, Organiser, expandable memory, and it should be able to have new apps fitted - Symbian S60 5th Edition. They've included an Accelerometer with auto rotate as well. And it has video editing.

oh, and it's touchyscreeny, and comes with a years worth of "Free" music downloads.

I'm steadily convincing myself....

Nokia UK - Nokia 5800 XpressMusic - Products

I like the look of that. How much will you actually use it as a music player, which seems to be it's strongest hand? Perhaps they'll also bring out a similar model, but with the more 'mainstream' features to the fore instead?

Steve

Nokia are massively pushing the whole music player thing having set themselves the target of being the best in the field. Their new "Comes with Music" packages are actually good value when you realise you get over 2 1/2 million songs with all the current chart stuff as well

• 3 months later...

I'm absolutely delighted with the 5800, completely and utterly stable, lots of interesting and free apps for it. Touch screen is great, no issues and I'm a business blackberry user who is used to a hardware keyboard, so it was a relief! 3G and WLAN is excellent, I have the unlimited data package which gets me onto 3G/HSDPA and hotspots (in cafes and pubs etc) for an extra tenner a month.

Sports Tracker is pretty good too.

very tempted by these. Nice to hear some good reviews. Im now due an upgrade and can get this free, or do I buy one for £239 sim free off play.com and save my upgrade for the N97? Have to have a think about that

I am in a conundrum of what phone to get. I do fancy an iphone but the new nokia looks a lot more appealing imho.

Similar to my situation.

Wife has the iphone, which is pretty fantastic, but lack of bluetooth comms to other non Iphone's is a PITA, and a couple of other minor niggles let it down for my own personal use. The rest though is excellent

Will be interested to hear more feedback on the 5800, as I had heard the touchscreen required the use of the stylus to get the best out of it

I am still not sure if I am 100% on touchscreen for texting. I can imagine it going horribly wrong when I am drunk lol.

:rofl::rofl:

I bought the LG Viewty touchscreen phone but couldn,t get on with it so gave it to the Mrs and she,s happy with it.I bought the Nokia 6300 but that is utter cr*p so iam using the Mrs old phone now;)

Had a play on the 5800 today, as my contracts up on monday

Initial thoughts was it felt cheap and light when I first picked it up, and I could tell its only a £240 handset.

The screen was good (very good quality picture), and the touchscreen seemed to work well... nowhere near iphone standards, but easy to use and navigate through the various menus without reading the manual.

I just didnt feel like it was a step up from my N95

Anyway, rang T-Mobile to see what deal they could do to keep me, and they were unable to offer me any better deal than I could get in the shop, as apparently they have brought all there tariffs down from the one I was on anyway.

So, that swung it for me, bye bye T-Mobile, hello o2

That's right, I went for the iphone like the wife has (although mines the 16gb ;))

I know its got a few downsides, but its a bloody brilliant bit of kit, and no one can compete with its touchscreen interface. It just feels so much better quality and is way cooler than all its rivals.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend the 5800... but to buy though, as its a good phone for £240, but I just dont think its worth being tied to a contract for

Cheers

Damian

Yes, a known problem - you can blame Nokia and they way they tweak the Bluetooth standard on the latest Symbian handsets for that :rolleyes:

There is a Nokia download that you can run in the background to try and get round the problem, but I've never got it to work properly on my N95....

Steve