Chipping for economy

Hi

I have had my Fabia PD100 remapped for economy

I can do 66MPG on average with my car

It took the BHP from 100 up to 141BHP

This is with a panel filter , PD160 intake and a remap

I must admit , I think the remap was better than the tuning box that I tried on my car

It just seemed better drivability and LOADS better fuel economy

I think this is one of those , you get what you pay for items ;)

Sarah

I must come up and get you to do mine Sarah. Keep meaning to do it but work keeps on getting in the way. And now that I have had a bit of a nudge - whoops, i need to see what the insurance company will say.

Still want it done though.

Anyway, sorry :offtopic:

I spend a lot of my time mapping purely for economy, some cars see good gains but I rarely see the claims of 20% that some companies quote!

I wrote a map for my fabia recently that was an eco map, even driving very sensibly the 20 mile run to work only gained an extra 4mpg.

I did map a Ford Focus common rail diesel once and the owner reported an extra 10mpg, did an audi Q7 as well (diesel) and the owner claimed a gain of 12-14 mpg over what he used to get on a long run.

Personally i really dislike powerboxes or 'tuning boxes' and have NEVER had a car equipped with one show the gains in MPG they claim, let alone the power they claim. I have seen them cause more problems than anything else. Black smog anyone?

Dave.

A remap or one of these boxes is something I'd like to try on mine but the likely cost of insurance puts me off.

A couple of cars back I had a Ford Explorer with a 4.0V6 :D

On their forum, there was a guy in the States who had done quite a lot of mods purely to improve the fuel economy including remaps (he ended up trying loads of them for a company) and would often report back after a road trip with 31 to 34 mpg achieved which considering this was on a gallon 20% smaller than our Metric one, was really impressive (considering mine wouldn't do more than 22 now matter how gentle I was on a long run).

One of the things he recommended that was good first mod was a new intake and filter which was supposed to give a little better economy and a little more power (between 2 and 8 BHP depending on which website you read) so I was going to try this as a first mod. Luckily, I phoned my insurance (Privilege I think) first who informed me that it would cost me the equivalent of an extra £140 per annum (about 35% of my premium) :eek: Needless to say I didn't bother.

I might sound out some different insurers for this when I renew next year just in case I decide to take the plunge and try one of these plug in devices.

• 4 weeks later...