Faulty rear window

Mr Statto

Over the last couple of weeks I've discovered that the drivers side rear window in our Roomster doesn't go back up in one go when I flick the switch. Is this a common problem, and if so will it solve itself or is it another one for the dealer?

Yes - we got them as an option to stop the kids from winding the windows down and not winding them all the way back up. It's lovely being back in control again!

Plus when they they complained of feeling sick it used to be really awkward to roll down the back windows while driving (the passenger side was obviously impossible without someone else in the front passenger seat) - having electric ones is so much better

not related to your windows

but are you realy only getting 33mpg out of your 1.4?

About that, yes :o. Most of our journeys are no more than 2-3 miles round Crawley. Every now and then we'll go for a good motorway run and get a lot more - we averaged something like 45mpg around the Isle of Wight in the summer. We're going up to Norwich soon so that will help

And yes, I know we should walk / catch the bus more, but the bus doesn't go the right way for the girls to get to school, and getting a four-year-old to walk 1 1/2 miles each way everyday is probably a bit much. Plus, Mrs Statto works next to the school, so it's not like the car's empty

And it's petrol, not diesel by the way

Edited by Mr Statto

I found this very recently, just assumed the window needed a wash as it seemed to be sticking, then going back down when I wanted it to go up. I'm wondering if it's because the rear windows are so big, maybe the motor isn't up to it and if there's any resistence they go down for safety reasons like when someone's fingers get trapped?

Have you taken it to the Dealer? My local newspaper has reported that Dutton Forshaw Skoda when I got my roomy a few months ago is ceasing operation soon? Shame it was just up the road from me, though presumably I can take it to any Skoda Dealer if it bugs me.

My local newspaper has reported that Dutton Forshaw Skoda when I got my roomy a few months ago is ceasing operation soon? Shame it was just up the road from me, though presumably I can take it to any Skoda Dealer if it bugs me.

That is correct, at the end of the month.

You could try Sherlodge in Gillingham.

I'm gradually building up a list of niggles that I'll try to get the dealer to handle in one go. It's just a question of organising myself enough to book it in.

So far I've got:

1) Rattly air-con

2) Whiny air-con (though that may be standard, no-one seems to have come back with a sensible answer to my post on that one)

3) Dodgy back window

I've done 6000 miles now so will probably wait until 10k service.

I had a rattle that I tracked down to a rear head rest. A lump of plastic had broken off inside. I teased it out with some tweezers.

I've still get the very occasional bad downshift from 2nd to 1st gear if moving a little but put that down to my driving and the roomsters shorter gears. Most cars don't like shifting down to 1st while moving from what i've read so I think it's normal, just bugged me for a while.

Apart from that very pleased with it, coped well with 4 adults and a dog around Snowdonia in the summer and my daily 50 mile commute to work.

Mr Statto. I have had the same problem with 2 of my windows. i took it to the dealer and he sprayed silicon spray in the grooves were the windows run this cured the problem. the first time was in March and it has never been a problem since. Hope this helps.

And yes, I know we should walk / catch the bus more, but the bus doesn't go the right way for the girls to get to school, and getting a four-year-old to walk 1 1/2 miles each way everyday is probably a bit much.

What??? A four year old should have no problem walking that distance and more. You're doing them no favours intrenching a 'go everywhere by car' culture.

What??? A four year old should have no problem walking that distance and more. You're doing them no favours intrenching a 'go everywhere by car' culture.

It's also the time aspect - if Hannah were to walk to school it would take a good 40 minutes, which is a luxury that we don't really have in the morning. Almost every afternoon one or other of them has some sort of activity, so again a 40 minute walk is not possible. Add in again the fact that my wife works next door to the school, and generally has a crate of things to take in, driving them in makes sense.

My older daughter does ride her bike to school a couple of days a week, by the way

Have you tried swapping the rear switch with the front switch to see if that solves it?

I have wind-ups on the back and they seem to have a tendency to unwind themselves,only by a couple of mm's but enough to make it annoying.Anybody else suffered this?