Intercooler

pdd0773

Hi

My 55 Superb 1.9TDi Elegance has developed a rattle at 1000-1200rpm. The dealer has diagnosed an elongated hole on the intercooler where the pipe enters.

It is a company car and the leasing company are not authorising a repair as the lease is up in a month or so. The mileage is 76k.

Does anybody know:

1. Is there any issue with driving the car with above (other than an annoying rattle!)

2. How much would it be to sort this problem out.

I might be buying the car hence question 2.

Thanks

That's a bit harsh from the leasing company.

Still, a spot of angel vs devil here:

1angel) I would suspect it'd put a bit of extra strain on the turbo (having to work harder as there's a little boost loss) and your fuel economy may suffer a bit. Other than that I doubt it, but with things like IC's and turbos they're really rather expensive so why chance?

1devil) Who cares? It's a great excuse to whack a FMIC and hybrid turbo on!

2angel) I'm not entirely sure, but I suspect a new SMIC would be required. Not too cheap from the dealers, but probably good price from scrap yards for DIY/local repair.

2devil) Speak to Sarah from Awesome, I'm sure she'll help you out ;)

Heh :)

I must admit if it was my car it'd be the FMIC at the least, followed by a custom remap to make the most of the existing turbo but save money at the same time.

Slightly OT but have you asked them how much they want for it? If they won't fix it but you may buy it you might be able to negotiate a bargain...

Thanks for the reply.

I have "agreed" a price of £5250 for 12mths mot and tax and the cambelt done. This was agreed before the intercooler issue!!

I think you could get a slightly better price, not including the intercooler issue in the current climate.

Perhaps it's worth seeing if you can get the price down a bit? I believe it's a simple fix but if they did it it'd cost them a lot a cash... or they'll just get rid of the car at auction and it'll cost them even more.

The dealer has just confirmed that it needs a new intercooler for £950+VAT (at least - could be more!!).

The leasing company are offering to take the car back and swap it early as they do not want to spend that money.

Is £950 a realistic figure for a new intercooler. I need to make a decision by Monday on what to do and need help quickly!!!

Well, a 24-carat gold intercooler will certainly be a bargain at that price.

Stlg200 from dealer is already pushing it.

I'd go somewhere else as clearly these guys are robbers.

I would tell the finance company you will offer them £3.5k as is and no more.

Then get the part no. of the intercooler and try a few scrap yards for a s/h one.Local garage to fit (if you don't fancy doing it yourself) saving you £1500+ from buying it from finance as per original deal.

I have change my intercooler to a FMIC and it's a bumper off job but shouldn't be any more than 1-2 hours,could even be done within an hour.

Have a word with the dealer and just check what needs replacing.If it's only the intercooler then offer them.

Hi

Blimey , can I help , yes I can

Push the hose right up tight

Make 2 or 3 little ish 1/16th" and then self tap screws in to it

When done , remove the pipe , clean up all the little bits , then screw back in

The pipe is known for popping off now and then , so this is the cheats way

Either that , or it may just be a new pipe

Sarah

The "hole" on the intercooler is elongated and the pipe is fairly new. I am told whatever pipe goes in it will be loose.

Anyway it is fairly academic as the leasing company are not budging from £5250!! They are happy to take the chances through an auction so good luck to them

The car is being swapped next week!

Thanks for your help.

Yeah I hope so to. Somebody is going to pick that up at auction and not be aware of the fault.

No exactly the honourable thing to do!

Did I miss the memo that said that leasing companies were honourable? ;)

Par for the course though at auction - sometimes you get a bargain, sometimes you get a lemon. That's half the fun... :P