Fabia vRS Gearbox Mount

richgoga

Okay... after much searching for 'clunking' on the forums, I'm pretty sure the 'clunking' sound coming from the passenger side of my Furby is down to the gearbox mount.

Like I've said before, I ain't technically minded and this assessment comes from a quick look at the console bushes, ARB and drop links - all of which seem to be in pretty god nick for an 05 plate.

All of the threads I've found talk about greasing the mount... but where is it and how do you get to it?

Pics would be greatly appreciated... or even just to be pointed to the right post...

I've been searching for so long, I'm seeing stars!

Good job it's dark or I'm sure I'd be pulling random bits out of the engine bay by now... arrgghh!

Thanks in anticipation...

:o

I get the exact same sound from my fabia, also gone over everything same as you and has also led me to my gearbox mount!

so i have removed the airbox, battery and carrier. this will reveale the mount.

Bit of a long winded job i know!

But after all of this i was still confused because nothing was loose!

Maybe it is worth trying to grease it up like you said, see how i get on!

Cheers Dean

Mine's going into a dealer of Friday... I've got 12mths warranty so not gonna try anything myself yet...

Dean... How easy is the removal of all the parts you're talking about?

Got the trusty Haynes manual, but still nervous about starting!

And whats the 'Carrier' you mention?

Cheers

Rich

I get the exact same sound from my fabia, also gone over everything same as you and has also led me to my gearbox mount!

so i have removed the airbox, battery and carrier. this will reveale the mount.

Bit of a long winded job i know!

But after all of this i was still confused because nothing was loose!

Maybe it is worth trying to grease it up like you said, see how i get on!

Cheers Dean

would you let us know what the dealer says as i have the same problem checked all suspension and steering and found no fault so it kind of narrows it down.

cheers

Mine's going into a dealer of Friday... I've got 12mths warranty so not gonna try anything myself yet...

Dean... How easy is the removal of all the parts you're talking about?

Got the trusty Haynes manual, but still nervous about starting!

And whats the 'Carrier' you mention?

Cheers

Rich

My mounts were buggered... I used to get it knocking/clunking when changing gear normaly 1-2-3 but not higher gears very often (only when depressing the clutch... could make it do it just by tapping accelerator too on and off). also got it going over knocks and bumps in the road including speed bumps.

I had the gearbox mount greased twice... made a little difference

Then had the dogbone mount greased, made a bigger difference for about 2-3 days

Then had both the gearbox mount and the dogbone mount replaced... silence!

Caused me so much greif!

To get to the mount you'll need to remove the battery, battery plate and the airbox all on the right hand side. Can't miss it after that. I was told mine looked fine... couldn't of been that good!

would you let us know what the dealer says as i have the same problem checked all suspension and steering and found no fault so it kind of narrows it down.

cheers

Well... just got back...

The dealer tech got it up on the ramp after taking it for a test drive...

TCA bushes ok, ARB bushes ok, Engine mounts all ok as well apparently!

They think it's a wheel bearing problem, but I can't confirm this yet as it's not been fixed!

To be fair the dealer service (Winners Garage, Cinderford) was spot on, but the Skoda Warranty company were giving them trouble about paying up...

Cathy (the dealer receptionist) and I then spent the rest of the afternoon on the phone trying to sort it out and get the car booked in...

Finally got everything straightened out, but too late for a fix today.

Booked in for repair on 3rd December... i'll update then.

• 2 months later...

I had this problem and i first of all changed the Torque-link which i believe is the gearbox mount, the problem was still there so then replaced the old console bushes with cupra ones, upon removal of old passenger side bush you could see it had split. then vwallah problem solved.