After Much Deliberation

Supurbia

I've decided to keep the Superb, I looked at getting another Vectra and also a Passat, the Passat was too expensive to consider, well a genuine low miles one was anyway in DSG form in SE spec, the Vectra I felt didn't compare anymore after sitting in a friends one the other week, even though I swear by VX cars it felt so nasty inside this time around, rear legroom was another consideration as well, and although the Passat doesn't have a lot the Vectra has even less, a look around for anything else proved fruitless also, either too much money or just didn't step up to the Superb plate for an all round drive, so it's new belt this week and fingers crossed another 18 mths min of reliable ownership.

Get your servicing regime sorted out (common sense, not VAG idiot book) and find a good independent who knows these cars well and who will address the weaknesses before they become problems and you should get good value out of the Superb.

VAG still don't realise that basic design apart, reliability is very much a function of good documentation and easily accessible service items requiring the use of common tools. Having to remove an undertray to change the oil (conventionally) just means that the monkeys don't put it back on properly. Making the diesel fuel filter water drain inaccessible and using a triple-square bolt for the filter clamp just means these items don't receive attention. They fit an access flap in the front wheel arch liner for the flasher bulbs (which virtually never fail) but don't put one in the undertray for the drain plug. Bonkers.

The Wolfsburg brigade just can't get their heads around the fact that not all markets for their vehicles have mechanics who are pre-programmed to do things correctly. In most areas outside mainland Europe, anything goes. They are also not in proper control of the regional representation of their products - VW of America and our friends in MK have justifiably gained a reputation for not operating within the financial interests of their customers.

rotodiesel.

Glad to see you stuck around :)

Roto makes a lot of sense here as usual, and you seem like a handy chap so I don't think you'll have too many problems. Especially as the warranty has now gone/is going soon.

Now, get that GSF account sorted ;)

That went in June, I get most of my service stuff from GSF or VW tbh, the Skoda dealer thing is just awful locally.

I just like not sitting on the wheel, and the floaty way it drives, ok it's not gonna do rallies, but this old codger needs comfort more than rapidness these days, plus despite what some people think it's a good looking car.

would there be an issue if one cut out an access hole on the undertray to make accessibility easier for removing the oil sump plug and washer prior to an oil change?...just a thought as it would be easier than removing the whole tray and trying to line it back up with both hands and doing the screws up with ones teeth.......has anyone done this?

would there be an issue if one cut out an access hole on the undertray to make accessibility easier for removing the oil sump plug and washer prior to an oil change?...just a thought as it would be easier than removing the whole tray and trying to line it back up with both hands and doing the screws up with ones teeth.......has anyone done this?

I thought bout it, but you have to get it right as the oil will fountain to start with and then calm down to a drizzle, could need quite a large flap and still end up messy, at least it isn't like a VX one which weighs a ton and rips as it drops.

Why cut any holes?

Get Sealey or Pela oil extractor, and suck the oil out via dipstick tube and from the oil filter housing. You actually get more oil out that way.

I used the "ball" Pela untlil last oil change, but recently switched to cylinder shaped 6.5ltr Sealey TP69, which has the advantage of being operated single-handed while I "vacuum" the inside of oil filter housing and the oil cooler, and for which you can buy spare dipstick tubes.

The last change on Superb took under 15 mins, including oil filter and air filter replacement in the meantime. Lifting and supporting the car properly often takes me longer than that.

Why cut any holes?

Get Sealey or Pela oil extractor, and suck the oil out via dipstick tube and from the oil filter housing. You actually get more oil out that way.

I used the "ball" Pela untlil last oil change, but recently switched to cylinder shaped 6.5ltr Sealey TP69, which has the advantage of being operated single-handed while I "vacuum" the inside of oil filter housing and the oil cooler, and for which you can buy spare dipstick tubes.

The last change on Superb took under 15 mins, including oil filter and air filter replacement in the meantime. Lifting and supporting the car properly often takes me longer than that.

I think this is why they say don't flush these engines cos you will leave flush in them without realising.

Why cut any holes?

Hmm...

I noticed Lummox was talking about a GB in another board about something along these lines, but nothing came of it...

Can you recommend anywhere that sells these items for a good price? I really don't fancy faffing with that damn plastic sump guard flap in the wind waste of bloody time.

@ Superbia, yes... it's still better than that Vx tat. Grr. That's very much one thing I don't miss! :thumbdwn:

Hmm...

Can you recommend anywhere that sells these items for a good price? I really don't fancy faffing with that damn plastic sump guard flap in the wind waste of bloody time.

:thumbdwn:

Got mine here:

Vacuum Oil & Fluid Extractor Manual 6.5ltr TP69 Sealey

Not sure if it's the cheapest, but the service is good and the selection of tools quite imposing.

I also got Spare Tube TP69/03 from same site as in my experience from Pela the thinnest tube gets worn out over time.

For actual operation it's best to use TP69/01 (thick one) and TP69/03 (thin one) together, that leaves enough hose length to vacuum the oil filter without stretching the pipework. 3 tubes (/01, /02 medium and /03) are supplied with the unit.

Got mine here:

Vacuum Oil & Fluid Extractor Manual 6.5ltr TP69 Sealey

Not sure if it's the cheapest, but the service is good and the selection of tools quite imposing.

I also got Spare Tube TP69/03 from same site as in my experience from Pela the thinnest tube gets worn out over time.

For actual operation it's best to use TP69/01 (thick one) and TP69/03 (thin one) together, that leaves enough hose length to vacuum the oil filter without stretching the pipework. 3 tubes (/01, /02 medium and /03) are supplied with the unit.

Thanks for the tip :)