turn signal stalk acting funny

This may be of use to anyone who is thinking of undertaking the removal of the indicator stalk (for fitting CC etc):

1. Remove the steering Control Module by unscrewing the small Torx Screw and by inserting a thin long screwdriver into the control unit the hole is about 3mm from where the screw was. You should hear it click once it has released the securing lug, you should also feel the front part drop. Now you need to undo the rear securing lug, look where the connector blocks are and using a screwdriver you need to release the lug, as it is difficult to see what you are doing you will have to try and do this by gentle pushing and pulling the control unit till it drops. (this may have been covered in MFsw diy)

2. To remove the slip ring: the slip ring is held on by two lugs, prise them gently with a slotted screwdriver, try not to move the rotating part, some versions have a coloured tab which has to be in-line with the viewing window

3. G85 Steering Angle Sensor Should Pull off

4. Removing the Indicator / Cruise Control Stalk: By looking on the side you will see a Lug is holding the indicator in place, insert the screwdriver so it lifts the retaining part of the lug above the notched part. Insert a 1mm Feeler gauge between the indicator and plastic housing where the white moving part of the indicator it will push up or down and you will insert it till it releases the securing lug and the indicator stalk should slide off towards you.

(Courtesy of Eddie-NL :thumbup: )

Thanks for this, Eddie. Our cruise control has started failing intermittently, and an electronic diagnosis has indicated a failure with the switch on the indicator arm. This, apparently, means a new indicator arm, which I would like to fit myself if possible. But I am a bit unnerved by your mention of bits dropping away when dismantling. How easy is it to replace the arm and put it all together again, please?

RAL

Thanks for this, Eddie. Our cruise control has started failing intermittently, and an electronic diagnosis has indicated a failure with the switch on the indicator arm. This, apparently, means a new indicator arm, which I would like to fit myself if possible. But I am a bit unnerved by your mention of bits dropping away when dismantling. How easy is it to replace the arm and put it all together again, please?

RAL

Hi RAL,

A couple of people on here say you can remove the switch from the stalk and clean it. the instructions given are shown here: Google Translation of vwfanatic.dk

...which is show on the forum here: Cruise control cleaning

I can't verify if it works or not, but I guess if you're going to have to replace the stalk in the end anyway having a go won't hurt!?

Hope this helps,

Ed emoticon-0105-wink.gif

• 6 years later...

Hello Ed_ Did you resolve your indicator problem all those years ago ? I have the same problem with the ind7cator giving opposite signals every so often . If you did would you remind me what it was please